Tasted my first EdWort's Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not to sure about it just yet.
It's not bad at all, but right now it's not like, WOW either.

The brew is just over a month old and has only been in the fridge being forced carbed for two days so it's still on the flat side.

My thoughts on the glass I had.

1. It's still young and will change a lot over the next month (good thing I have another 5 gallons sitting in a keg aging also)

2. It has a LOT more hop profile then I thought it was going to have (may have something to do with a 13 gallon boil?)
It's not IPA kind of hoppy but still a lot more hops then I thought it was going to have.

3. There does not seem to be a lot of body to it. It seems a little "thin".

4. Has kind of a "dry" after taste/feel to it.

All in all I'm happy with it and I know it will just keep getting better. I'm just not sure if the brew is right.
Someone want to send me one to "test"? :D

On 3 and 4: sounds like you might have mashed too low. How confident are you in your thermometer? They are notorious for being off by a couple degrees. When it is fully carbed it probably won't tastes as thin.

Beerrific said:
On 3 and 4: sounds like you might have mashed too low. How confident are you in your thermometer? They are notorious for being off by a couple degrees. When it is fully carbed it probably won't tastes as thin.

I mashed ranged from 152 - 150* depending on where I took the reading. I have tested the thermometer to my two brew put thermometers and it seem to be right on with them. But I guess that does not mean it's right.

FSR402 said:
I mashed ranged from 152 - 150* depending on where I took the reading. I have tested the thermometer to my two brew put thermometers and it seem to be right on with them. But I guess that does not mean it's right.

I'm still new to AG, but it's my understanding that 150-152 is on the lower end of mash temps, meaning dryer, less body, higher alcohol, due to converting more of the sugars into fermentable sugars. Maybe you should try 154-155 for a more medium body, medium alc. content?

I will be bottling and kegging my haus pale this weekend. I havent even tasted it yet. Hope it turns out good Ive got ten gallons of the stuff.

FSR402 said:

What was your OG/FG? Use that to calculate your apparent attenuation, if it is relatively high for the yeast showing that you are fermenting a lot, that would indicate a low mash temp. Also, did you do single infusion?

I'm drinking mine now. Well, not now at this moment, but you know what I mean. It's great! Not too thin or dry at all, with a great flavor. I do prefer IPAs but this one is a nice drinking beer. My friend (also a homebrewer) stopped by last night and said it was one of her favorites! My husband likes it, too. I say, first, give it more time. Carbonation makes a big difference and so does a little aging. I mashed at 154 and used S05 yeast and had a fg of 1.008. I'm thrilled with mine, thanks Edwort!

Yooper Chick said:
I'm drinking mine now. Well, not now at this moment, but you know what I mean. It's great! Not too thin or dry at all, with a great flavor. I do prefer IPAs but this one is a nice drinking beer. My friend (also a homebrewer) stopped by last night and said it was one of her favorites! My husband likes it, too. I say, first, give it more time. Carbonation makes a big difference and so does a little aging. I mashed at 154 and used S05 yeast and had a fg of 1.008. I'm thrilled with mine, thanks Edwort!

That's good news! I'm glad you like it. It IS a drinking beer.

We'll have to swap bottles so you can taste it with Nottingham. I gotta make a batch first. It does not stay around very long. :D

FSR402 said:
Not to sure about it just yet.
It's not bad at all, but right now it's not like, WOW either.

The brew is just over a month old and has only been in the fridge being forced carbed for two days so it's still on the flat side.

Give it some time. I don't touch mine for at least 4 weeks from brew day and they slowly carbonate at 12 psi over time. The hop profile will mellow as it ages.

"Drink no green beer, just cause it's near!" EdWort

Beerrific said:
What was your OG/FG? Use that to calculate your apparent attenuation, if it is relatively high for the yeast showing that you are fermenting a lot, that would indicate a low mash temp. Also, did you do single infusion?

The OG was 1.056 (at 75*) the FG was 1.010 (at 68*).

I mashed once for an hour then sparge twice.
1st one was 3.5 gallons of water at 182*. rested at 168* for 10 minutes.
2nd one was 3.5 gallons of water at 180*, rested at 172* for 10 minutes.

1.054 - 1.009 here with WLP001 here. First EdWort Haus attempt.

Bottled for only one week so far, but I may have to sneak one from myself tonight. Shhhhhh, don't tell me.:mug:

Before everyone gets all excited about EdWorts recipe. let's not forget that any good chef or brewmaster is going to share the entire recipe with the exception of one critical (but easy to overlook) ingredient.

In Ed's case, it's what makes all the difference. Subtle, but necessary for the perfect brew:

EdWort_Fish.jpg

:mug: :mug: :mug:

So let me guess: You take your bassamatic, blend up yer fishie, and toss it in after primary ferment is done?

j/k :)

Even without a fish (how could I not have figured that part out?:confused: ) this thing tastes pretty darn good. Mine is still very green at only four weeks old and only one in the bottle, but the flavors are already coming together pretty nicely:mug:

So, do you thing it would be better if I pop the bottles open, slip a small goldfish into each one and re-cap?

BrewBrain said:
So, do you thing it would be better if I pop the bottles open, slip a small goldfish into each one and re-cap?

Sure, that is what I would use to bottle condition. :D

Darn Biermuncher. Look what you started. Folks are thinking that ya have to chop up a slimy lawyer to add it to the beer. :D

and they were both delicious.

The second batch was only about 2 weeks from grain to draft.... crash cooled and force carbed.... and it disappeared as fast as the first.

I have a modified 3rd batch (+ 1 lb. 2-row and Amarillo / Cascade hops combo) in the primary and I anticipate it being just as good as the previous batches.

Some of the best stuff I've made ( Applewein & Haus Ale) has been Edwort's recipes.

Thanks Ed

TK

vtchuck said:
and they were both delicious.

The second batch was only about 2 weeks from grain to draft.... crash cooled and force carbed.... and it disappeared as fast as the first.

I have a modified 3rd batch (+ 1 lb. 2-row and Amarillo / Cascade hops combo) in the primary and I anticipate it being just as good as the previous batches.

Some of the best stuff I've made ( Applewein & Haus Ale) has been Edwort's recipes.

Thanks Chuck! I'm glad you enjoy them. I'm all about making drinkable beer. If you keg it, it must be drinkable and I only keg. :D

So I've tried my hand at this recipe too (big surprise). Anyway, it's sitting in the keg now and it is a bit hazy and yeasty tasting. How long does it usually take for all the yeast to settle out so I can really taste my work? This brew seems more reluctant to clarify than others I've done.

I'm dying here......

It'll clear really fast if you crash cool it. I only bottle, but after 4 weeks in the bottle (more or less), it's crystal clear.

Mine is so good, my husband is becoming an APA fan. He loves it almost as much as I do! Too bad it's almost gone.

I will be trying first AG tomorow .. I can't wait (but I know I must)

I think I will skip secondary this time, and go straight to bottling after primary.

Will comment in abt 4 weeks !

Latest posts

Back