I need a Coffee Vanilla Stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordonwes

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew a 10.5 gallon all grain batch of this delicious sounding brew. Anyone have a recipe?

I would look for an Espresso oak Aged Yeti clone. It's from Great Divide Brewery. I had one yesterday and it tastes very much like all the flavors you are mentioning.
For valentines day I brewed a milk chocolate vanilla stout. It went fast, everyone loved it. It doesn't have coffee flavors though. Let me know if you want the recipe.

BYO magazine has a yeti stout clone recipe, I haven't tried it but wanted to based on the name alone.

vera, do you have a link to the recipe for your milk chocolate vanilla stout? That sounds delicious!

I'd like to see that too :)

FYI you have to increase the level of vanilla to be noticeable in a strong stout. I made one with 3 whole vanilla beans cut and put in the secondary, and the 1/2lb each of roasted barley or black patent flavors are so strong you don't taste any vanilla over them.

Edit: from reading other recipes it sounds like my vanilla beans were just really weak. got them from LHBS and no telling how old they are. anyone have a reco on a pure extract to get online? seems like it would be much more consistent.

FYI you have to increase the level of vanilla to be noticeable in a strong stout. I made one with 3 whole vanilla beans cut and put in the secondary, and the 1/2lb each of roasted barley or black patent flavors are so strong you don't taste any vanilla over them.

I would be careful with this as it depends on the strength of the vanilla bean in use. I made a 10% ABV vanilla bourbon stout with one singular vanilla bean from whole foods (my entire kitchen smelled like the vanilla bean for a week) and all I could taste was vanilla for the first six months of aging. When I remade the recipe I used 1/2 a bean from the same source and it was much more drinkable. Now if you only want to taste vanilla that is a different story...

I have no link, so here's the Recipe.

Vera's Valentine Stout

60 min. 5 gallon batch.

10 lb American 2 row Pale ale
15 oz Belgian special B
14 oz Caramel/Crystal 20L
7 oz Barley roasted
7 oz Oats flakes
5 oz Briess chocolate 350L

Additions
1 oz E. Kent Golding 45 min
1 oz E. Kent Golding 5 min
1 lb Lactose 5 min
7 oz dark cocoa powder hersheys unsweetened 5 min
2 vanilla beans ( I open them lengthwise w Sharp knife, scrape insides loose, and then chop it all up). 5 min

Yeast WLP002
My OG was 1.072.
I conditioned this for about 2 months.

Thanks for the help everybody! I'm looking for a somewhat of a quick turn around with this recipe. Will I have to ferment for 2 months if I brew this? I'm wanting a quick turn around because this is just a pilot recipe that, if it turns out good, I will use for a flagship beer from my brewery.

Fermentation won't take two months. That should be done within a couple of weeks. This beer would do well with aging so the yeast can clean up.

Fermentation on this particular beer was complete in about 7 days. It actually tasted surprisingly good after one week of conditioning. However, two months of conditioning made all the flavors meld beautifully. It's the first recipe I've created myself. I'm looking forward to brewing it again for Christmas.

Back