Syracuse, NY area - Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
egh.. i only have a 5lb tank... might have to upgrade next time i go fill it up... i just go to huan and buy my stuff, its so much cheaper.... (i think its 20 bucks more to go to a 10 lb tank, upgrade form my 5lb)

Any word on when the order will be coming in?

Nothing yet. They should call to confirm with me. I would go ahead and assume that if I don't get a call from them today, then I will get a call tomorrow, verifying drop off for the following day.

i.e.
- get a call today = Delivery Thursday
- get a call tomorrow = Delivery Friday

At least for our whopping $267 shipping and other fees, they owe me a phone call! ;)

egh.. i only have a 5lb tank... might have to upgrade next time i go fill it up... i just go to huan and buy my stuff, its so much cheaper.... (i think its 20 bucks more to go to a 10 lb tank, upgrade form my 5lb)

Yup, I started with a 10, then bumped up to a 20. I burned through the 10 in just a couple months.

Oh, that reminds me... Where in Syracuse do you all get your C02 tanks refilled? I got an empty 20lb one that I would like to exchange, though it is really old and has no certification stickers or anything on it. If they would take it, how much do ya think it would cost for an exchange?

I go to haun gas supply - I am almost 100 percent sure they won't take it without the recertification - they may offer you a deal on accepting it and re certifying it. But not sure.

An unethical way to ditch it would probably to do a gas exchange with a LHBS or someone who doens't know the cert is needed. just sayin' not that I would do it.

my tank is from haun.. so i just go there, they will just exchange it to me for the refill of the gas, which is really just swapping out tanks. i think its fairly cheap.

I just recently started dealing with the lhbs, before that I used Rochester welding supplies in farmington. Im sure they are much like haun.

yah, very similar, the guys there are pretty cool. Haun will sell beer gas too if you need it for a stout or what not. 90/10 mixture of NO2/co2 (this is a nitrogen tank tho {higher pressures})

I wish I.could use my fiber tanks from paintball for a nitro setup. I bet I can. Here comes bad idea of the month from me!

Haha - I could sense the tension!

So here is the deal - called this A.M. - sorry it took me a bit to post. Delivery is set for some time between 1-4pm tomorrow.

Once I receive it, I will take inventory and check that the order is correct - then it is open season.

i.e. You can fairly confidently plan for pickup on Friday after 5:30pm

lol, now we just need to find corny kegs.. stupid brew store is out of them!... sunset has the best prices that i can find... and they are out :( wont have them for another week or so... so i guess im bottling my hefe.

Wren has a ton of brand new ones if you are rich.

Man are they shiney and look great stacked up together like that.

Not that I will be buying new ones, but jsut curious - what do they go for at wrens?

Sunset here in victor has some. I could pick one up and get to you if need be. Maybe we could meet on the thruway if your getting grain tomorrow u could get mine and bring it ....figured id throw it out there.

not rich, on a budget.. which im quickly surpassing... so i cant buy new ones..

called wrens' all they have is new ones for 100, used are 52.00 (out of stock)

sunset wont have any until next week or two...

i found a website that converted coca cola ones... (out of stock right now until april) that you can buy 4 (4-pack) at a time and its like 90 dollars before shipping so im looking at 120-130 prob after shipping for 4 of them... i might just hold off an grab those. i just emailed them to figure out how much shipping would be :p... hopefully not to much

plus the keg i have right now is 1/2 full so i may just draw whats out of that into bottles and put my hefe in there.

thanks for the offer jhenderson, if i was heading to Rochester for school, like i was doing for the last 8 months, right now i would just bring your grain with me! i wont be heading that way anytime soon well at least until late April to talk with a professor

Ill be up to get it definatly before than. I get mine from beers of the world. They have ones in next to new condition for like 37 a piece. Ball locksand everything already on

FWIW, I have bought my last 6 kegs from Northern Brewer (along with most everything else). $40 a pop plus flat rate $8 shipping no matter how many you buy. 1 of them was a little banged up and needed some work on the lip to seal at low pressure, but otherwise no complaints.

which one do you go too?... if they have that i might head out there for before hand then.. maybe this weekend or something (oh wait my cuz is coming home this weekend form there maybe i can have her pick one or two up!)

Ill be up to get it definatly before than. I get mine from beers of the world. They have ones in next to new condition for like 37 a piece. Ball locksand everything already on

Holy crap, i might be taking a road trip soon then.

I am still a poor little bottler. Need to step up to kegs soon.

i kinda hijacked this thread, but cidah. just a note ill be picking up jhendersons stuff too.

jhenderson.. your inbox is full.. but one quick note since its going to be 1/2 sack of chocolate, how would you like me to transport it? im not sure who the other is that has the 1/2 sack and if it will be left or if i have to talk half of it out.

plus stupid me cleaning out that inbox i deleted your number... i dont like that whole 5 message limit thing...

Ha no problem...the other is cidah....I don't know if he can take the 1/2 out then keep my half in that bag without making a grand mess in your car. Ill pm my number.

Hey Cidah, what time Saturday is good for you?

I should be around all day unless I have to run to the LHBS. I will be brewing with my buddy starting at about 12pm.

i.e. all day is good as long as you don't need "kid glove" treatment :) I might be running around with brewing stuff or bottling in the basement.

Ha no problem...the other is cidah....I don't know if he can take the 1/2 out then keep my half in that bag without making a grand mess in your car. Ill pm my number.

No problem - I should have an empty two row sack kicking around. Are you going to be storing yours in the bag? Or in a container without the bag? The only reason I ask is that if you don't care "which" bag, then i might keep the chocolate bag so I remember what is in it. If you prefer to keep that bag, no sweat! make sense? :drunk:

Let me know your preference.

Rustbucket - I will set your and jhenderson's order aside to make sure you get it all when you swing in.

Cidah...I was going to a container that is airtight. If you want to throw mine in a differnt bag im totally fine with that. Your welcome to the choc bag if it doesn't create a pain for.you.

Think you'll be around Sunday afternoon for me to swing by?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Jhenderson - works for me! I will have a slew of random specialties in one giant bin. Having them in a labeled bag will make my life much easier.

FL Brewer - sounds like a plan!

Now I just gotta bite the bullet and order that wort cooler from nybrewzupply. Opinions please, for 5g do I need 50 ft....also +/- to copper vs stainless.

Now I just gotta bite the bullet and order that wort cooler from nybrewzupply. Opinions please, for 5g do I need 50 ft....also +/- to copper vs stainless.

I would say go copper, 1/2 inch @50 feet. But if you NEVER plan on doing a 10 gallon batch I would say 25 feet is probably fine. Copper has some antimicrobial properties (I read somewhere) that make it preferable to stainless. But either way you can't go wrong.

1/2 not 3/8? I was going to say the have the 50ft stainless for 53. If copper is that much better ill go with it. I do not intend to move up. I enjoy my 5g batches. I don't have the room for more now. I got 15g in diff stages readying for bottles or kegging and my gf up my ass about stuff in the dining room. Who doesn't like a 6g fermented full of imperial vanilla porter on the table. Jeesh

I think 3/8 would be fine, especially for 5g only. But I always think, can you ever really chill the wort down too quickly?

Since I now am frequently doing 10g - I have to do 1/2 IMO. If I was doing 5g only, I would still get the 1/2 x 50 - but I tend to go big v. what I actually can get away with ;)

copper has a better thermal property too, remember that.... it absorbs heat much faster than SS.

Aluminum is 3x faster than steel
copper is 1.5x more than aluminum

Back