caramel apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klcramer

Reaction score
Thinking of trying a small batch of apfelwein and in the secondary adding some caramel syrup to try to make a caramel apple wine. The syrup I have is sweetend with splenda. Should this go in the secondary or should I just put this in from the start? Next how much should I add to a one gallon batch? Does this even sound like this should be any good? Has anyone done something like this before?

Thanks

Although I haven't tried that before, I'm not sure if I would. I'd be concerned about yhe syrup just gelling up and not dissolving in your final product. If you wanted to add some caramel notes, why not make some caramel on the stove and try using that? Making caramel sauce is really easy. Just take however much sugar you want to use, add a bit of water (depends on how much sugar you use, but usually 1/2 cup water to 2 cups of sugar works good for me), and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until it looks like caramel.

I've never added that to beer, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe someone will chime in on this.

Here is a post where someone did exactly what you're looking for https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/gold-wine-caramel-apple-149155/

Instead of using caramel syrup, you should try about 3pounds 60L (or 120L) Crystal malt and sweeten with DME. Perfect caramel flavour.

Back