pearl barley?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
I was told to use 1/2 lb of flaked barley in my wheat beer. Well all I could find locally was pearl barley. Can I use that? With the same effect.?

Well...flaked barley is just barley that's been sliced and rolled flat like Quaker oatmeal. Pearl barley is just barley that's had the husks and bran removed, so it should substitute just fine. To use pearl barley, I would crush it up pretty well and then mash it. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

I asked the same question last week. I think you need to cook the barley before adding it to your mash. My LHBS said boil it for 20minutes then add it to the mash.

I ended up needing some other stuff so I went to another LHBS and got the flaked barley there, so I can't tell you if it works but I reckon it would, it's in the Complete Joy of Home Brewing, too.

mash
3/4 lb crystal malt
1/4 lb caramunich malt
1/4 lb pearl barley ( roasted and cooked )
1/4 lb 2 row

0.75 oz Tettnanger 60min ~20IBU - 2.5gal boil

3 lbs dried figs (in secondary)

Safale

woops ! sorry !

DME
3 lbs bavarian wheat

mash
3/4 lb crystal malt
1/4 lb caramunich malt
1/4 lb pearl barley
1/4 lb 2 row (roasted and cooked)

0.75 oz Tettnanger 60min ~20IBU - 2.5gal boil

3 lbs dried figs (in secondary)

Safale

If you are planing on a partial mash, then you will need to replace some of the DME with more 2-row. But with those grains I think you can get by with just a steep if you get rid of the 2-row. Steeping 2-row won't properly convert it, and will leave your beer with a starch haze.

hey thanks but, well the 2 row was for the barley. right.? actually i think i am just gonna order some carapils, and get rid of the 2 row and barley.

yah 2 row is the barley, two row yields high sugars in your mash and should comprise most of your grain bill if you plan on using carapils. +1 Barley water, you are most likely going to need to mash.. Go all grain its awesome

Exactly- the pearl barley must be mashed, that's why you have the 2-row in an equal amount. It looks ok to me.

It sounds like kind of a pain to cook the barley before mashing, that's why I've never used it. I've used flaked barley, though, with sucess.

Back