Is this an appropriate brewing kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman Resu

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm thinking about starting to brew in about a month or so, but I'm trying to gather up as much info as possible (I guess that's not too realistic...) before I jump in. In searching for a stock pot, I found this. It is steel with a porcelain coating. I know that stainless steel is ideal, but I've also read that a pot with a ceramic coating is acceptable as long as it isn't chipped. Is this actually a good deal (8.5 gallons for less than $40, including the shipping), or is this a case where "you get what you pay for"?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is ok and possible. I have a buddy of mine that uses one like this. Good results.
The issue I think you should be mindful of is is the bottom on these type are generally thin. So be care of burning or scorching the bottom of the pan and your beer.

Welcome to HBT.

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

There is definitely nothing wrong with those enamel pots! Many people got started with those. As was mentioned, the bottoms are extremely thin so you will need to watch your heat so you don't scorch your wort. As you also mentioned be very vigilant for chips and cracks, as soon as you see one the pot is finished.

You might want to look around for a large aluminum pot instead (to avoid the previously mentioned problems). You should be able to find a similar size for about the same money.

If it helps any, I saw a post here about 20 quart pots at Family Dollar for $10 each. I picked up two and used them yesterday. Started out with 2.5 gallons in each and divided the contents between the two. I lost more water, but unless you have one of those propane outdoor burners, you need a lot of BTUs on your stove to get 2 gallons or more going. I was able to use a commercial stove, and even then I had the burners turned all the way on high. If I bought a larger pot I would need to go the outdoor burner route and would probably do the commercial food aluminum pot as they are significantly less expensive. (unless I got a deal on a SS one.)

If you are looking to get a propane burner as well you might want to look for a cheap turkey fryer. You can expect to pay $30-40 for a burner and 7.5 gallon pot

Back