Chrome vs. Stainless Perlick Faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of upgrading my current keezer setup from picnic taps to faucets. I want to build a collar and put five perlick forward sealing faucets on it, but I am trying to decided whether to go with the 525PC or spring for the 525SS. I know that stainless steal is obviously going to be a better product, but is it worth the extra ~$60 bucks to go with stainless as opposed to the chrome faucets?

You could probably buy the chrome ones and never notice a difference. Or, just bite the bullet once, spend the extra $60, and never worry about it.

I went with option #2. :D

i plan to go opt 2 as well. save up the extra cake and get the stainless ones.
i read the chrome ones can chip and flake off and it is easier to clean and keep stainless clean and sanitized. SS for the win

Just FYI, Adventures in homebrewing
http://www.homebrewing.org/Perlick-Stainless-Steel-525ss-Perl-Faucet_p_2102.html

Has 525SS's for $30 each on sale now...i just picked up 4 + shipping for $132 for my Keezer, a good $30-70 cheaper than anywhere else i could find.
At that price, theres no reason to bother with chrome.

Wow! That is cheap. I ordered mine from http://www.thebeertapstore.com/525ss_stainless_steel_faucet_4_SS_shank_kit_p/fsk02.htm

They we're $57.95 and come witha 4" shank and tail piece kit. There 525ss's are regularly $35.95 a piece which is not a bad deal considering it ships for FREE. For some reason they don't have free shipping with the shank and tail piece kit....???? not sure why.

- Destin

Thanks everyone. I was dead set on just getting the Chrome faucets, but I think I have been swayed to SS. I figure if I have to replace just one Chrome I will have spent the same about of money to replace it than if I would have just bought a SS in the first place.

I bought the chrome ones awhile back since i got them on sale for 20 bucks each i went for those instead of SS. All i got to say is they work great i never had any problems with them. But if they ever go bad i think i will replace them with the SS versions.

If the chrome would to start flaking. The brass will give your beer a off teaste.

I've never seen or heard of chrome peeling off of one of these.

Anyway, as far as I know, the inside of the tap parts isn't chromed, so the beer is contacting brass anyway. After all, you can buy polished brass taps.

I've never seen or heard of chrome peeling off of one of these.

Anyway, as far as I know, the inside of the tap parts isn't chromed, so the beer is contacting brass anyway. After all, you can buy polished brass taps.

I don't know of any brass in my taps I will look though. I know brass can have surface lead just not something you have to deal with when you have ss. It's all in what you as the person wants money can play a big factor in witch way people lean. As far as perlicks peeling I don't know to many bars with perlick taps so I dont know. I have been bars with other taps that where peeling just not something I want to see in my beer.

I thought I read somewhere (possibly on here) that eventually the acidity in the beer with wear the chrome down? Not sure if this is legit or even possible. I think I read that there is some plastic parts in the chrome as well vs the SS which is all SS? Again, I am not sure if any of these things are true, just something I read.

Latest posts

Back