Chest Freezer Collar Insulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khirsah17

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was thinking about making a collar for my chest freezer, and my friend brought up a good point when he asked me about whether or not I was going to insulate the collar. Seems like you'll have a loss of cooling efficiency through the wood itself. Has anyone considered this? Is it worth it to make a collar stuffed with insulation somehow?

My wood collar doesn't feel cold to the touch so I doubt I'm letting much heat in. I'd be far more concerned with making sure you have no air gaps. Wood is a pretty decent insulator (see log cabins). Hard wood is something like R-1 per inch. Of course, a thin layer of extruded foam would add more but it would probably take 3 years of use to break even on the effort.

I'm planning on using some canned foam in my design. Based on previous projects, the spray foam will help strengthen the overall structure by molding into the irregular areas. It also completely seals the structure. What I'll probably do is use cardboard tubes to protect the shanks, fill the space, put a double layer of plastic wrap down as a release agent, then weight the lid down.

My collar is made from 1X4 poplar. I don't have any insulation on it and it doesn't seem very cold on the outside. Although, I may insulate it at a later date "just because."

Back