You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you brew a beer to get rid of some extra hops and corn sugar and eventually end up calling it Johnny's Malt Liquor. The other thing is that it tastes better the more you drink of it.

Or a question you replied to a couple months ago comes back & you forgot the question!

I actually answered my own question the other day then realized it was a question I asked a long time ago and forgot so I deleted the answer before anyone saw it.

I went by my moms house. She has some Caramel coffee syrup she doesn't like, and asked me if i wanted it. As i was saying yes, i was simultaneously thinking "How will this taste as a priming sugar or back sweetener?"

When you're at the LHBS and overhear a question & answer session and you know you could have provided better answers in many cases but don't interrupt, correct or modify because you're not the perceived authority in this exchange...and you don't want to blow the sale of a $400 brew kettle to a "first timer".

Your once prized gun room has given up 51% of its space to beer related paraphernalia and you realize ya need to expand your cave...

When you have a cold and take NyQuil with your HB Blonde, despite the warnings

Fu(k tha po-leece!

When you have a cold and take NyQuil with your HB Blonde, despite the warnings

Fu(k tha po-leece!

So funny - reading this after a couple of HB pales and as the Nyquil really begins to kick in.

Was at the LHBS the other day and ordered 3 beers worth of grain, so the shop owner was tied up for a while. No one else was there when I walked in but of course as soon as I placed my order the store filled up with other customers.
Two people who seemed to be unfamiliar with the store were talking among themselves across the store looking for a stopper for a 1 gallon jug on a wall of drawers filled with stoppers.
Without thinking: "#6 stopper, should be the first row or two towards the middle"

You know you're a homebrewer when, in a pinch, you can help run the front of house for your LHBS :p

Was at the LHBS the other day and ordered 3 beers worth of grain, so the shop owner was tied up for a while. No one else was there when I walked in but of course as soon as I placed my order the store filled up with other customers.
Two people who seemed to be unfamiliar with the store were talking among themselves across the store looking for a stopper for a 1 gallon jug on a wall of drawers filled with stoppers.
Without thinking: "#6 stopper, should be the first row or two towards the middle"

You know you're a homebrewer when, in a pinch, you can help run the front of house for your LHBS :p

Good job helping out! I hate to do this cause I feel like im stepping on toes, but if the owner is crushing my grain... ya gotta help out right?

When it isn't until AFTER you and the wife leave Home Depot that you realize how much money you just let her spend on crappy junk because you were too busy day dreaming about how everything in the electrical, hardware and plumbing departments could help you brew beer faster and easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When you clean out the man cave/brewery yet again because it is once more reaching critical mass. Need more space! My winter project for the man cave is restoring an old, 1921 Shaker drop-leaf table.

I deliver goods in a town in Sweden that has a Carlsberg brewery and even though the brewery plant is a few miles out of town, I can smell in the air when they're brewing and know the difference between the mash and the boil when the hops have been added.

When your man cave is used to store beer paraphernalia even when your brewery is in the garage...

Last edited:
I call it a man cave because the computer is in there with my brewery as well. Table, fridge, etc is coming too. I spend a lot of time in there being retired. So it's not just a brewery....it's a fortress of solitude! :tank:

Friday while at work, a few coworkers, my boss, and myself were all pulling hard drives, memory, etc from computers that we were getting rid of. I brought in a growler of cream ale to share and my boss drank some, said "This really isnt bad" (As if I would share bad beer) and then told me that he wished he had given me the 40 some glass carboys that he threw into a dumpster and watched shatter.

When a story like the above brings a tear to your eye.

Meh. Carboys are a dangerous thing that should be slowly phased out anyhow. After discovering a crack in a glass carboy I just carried up a flight of stairs, I got rid of all my glass and went to Better Bottles. Couldn't be happier.

Though, still, it would be hard to watch forty of them being destroyed. lol

When your constantly looking for stainless stuff to add to your home brewery everywhere you

When you're at the baby store and notice baby bottle cleaners/brushes would work for beer bottles

You know you're still n00b homebrewer when you're boiling down the last drippings from yesterday's brew day into caramel to throw into your spent grain dog treats, and you don't even think about the hot break.

Although, I guess if I'm gonna have a boil-over, I'd rather it be in the quart of future dogfood than the many gallons of future beer...

You know you're still n00b homebrewer when you're boiling down the last drippings from yesterday's brew day into caramel to throw into your spent grain dog treats, and you don't even think about the hot break.

Although, I guess if I'm gonna have a boil-over, I'd rather it be in the quart of future dogfood than the many gallons of future beer...

I'd be more concerned with feeding hops to your dog. It is poisonous for them. Hopefully you just mean the last running from mashing and not the boil. If not check it out for your reference.

Sent from somewhere to someone

You have 2 beers on tap, 3 in various stages of fermentation or aging, but feel an extreme urge to fill your last available carboy with wort and yeast ASAP!

That's one of the saddest stores I think I've ever heard.

The great carboy massacre! 40 of'em too...:(

Carboys are people too...

Oh, the humanity! :eek:

Not good, not good ... :mad:

There's laws against that,... right? :eek:

pb

Yeah, I know. It was a hard hit to take. I was thinking that if I could have secured them I would have inquired if anyone on here wanted some. I do not think I could have used 40 at the same time yet. Otherwise I would probably have had to brew my limit of 200 gallons of assorted wine/mead/sours and put myself in the brewing poor house for a while.

Back