I really want to support my lhbs, but they're making it hard.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldnt even read past 1 1/2 lines. Do you even try to make it readable?

I thought it wasn't bad, as far as teh Interwubz goes. He wasn't asking how is babby formed, after all...

I make no specific effort to support either of the LHBS around here, because one of them kindof sucks for that (they are awesome for beers, but mediocre at best for brewing supplies) and the other one is pretty good but they are pretty far out of my way (well, 20 minutes... I know, I shouldn't complain, I know some people drive two hours to go to their LHBS, but the crappy one is <5 minutes from my house, so I am spoiled...)

That said, if I just need one or two things, the shipping from any of the online places will kill me, so I still end up buying a fair amount of stuff locally anyway, and I feel good about the balance. For example, I have a bunch of crap arriving from AHS today (UPS says it's out for delivery, I'm all excited!), but I was ordering stuff for two different recipes and I managed to forget a few ingredients, plus I need some more tubing, I'm almost out of PBW, I need some Irish moss... long story short, I'm going to be buying about $20-25 from the LHBS (the one 5 minutes from my house), plus I'll probably grab a few commercial brews while I am there, so they are getting paid too. The AHS order was over $100 (to get the free shipping), but I've probably spent that much locally, in bits and pieces, since my last AHS order.

If your LHBS is conveniently located, I imagine you'll find yourself doing something similar, i.e. mail order for when you plan ahead, LHBS for when you don't.

I agree with most people on this subject and just go with a good online shop. Fresh ingreidents and good service just makes homebrewing that much more enjoyable. That being said I will stop in at my local homebrew shop and drop some cash on random goodies and emergency items.

I make no specific effort to support either of the LHBS around here, because one of them kindof sucks for that (they are awesome for beers, but mediocre at best for brewing supplies) and the other one is pretty good but they are pretty far out of my way (well, 20 minutes... I know, I shouldn't complain, I know some people drive two hours to go to their LHBS, but the crappy one is <5 minutes from my house, so I am spoiled...)

That said, if I just need one or two things, the shipping from any of the online places will kill me, so I still end up buying a fair amount of stuff locally anyway, and I feel good about the balance. For example, I have a bunch of crap arriving from AHS today (UPS says it's out for delivery, I'm all excited!), but I was ordering stuff for two different recipes and I managed to forget a few ingredients, plus I need some more tubing, I'm almost out of PBW, I need some Irish moss... long story short, I'm going to be buying about $20-25 from the LHBS (the one 5 minutes from my house), plus I'll probably grab a few commercial brews while I am there, so they are getting paid too. The AHS order was over $100 (to get the free shipping), but I've probably spent that much locally, in bits and pieces, since my last AHS order.

If your LHBS is conveniently located, I imagine you'll find yourself doing something similar, i.e. mail order for when you plan ahead, LHBS for when you don't.

I'm in Rochester too and feel much the same about our local options. It's nice to have BotW close but they are a retail beer store that dabbles in homebrewing and Sunset is a hydroponics store that dabbles in homebrewing. I'm glad they are both here and I buy stuff from them on occaision but it would be nice to have a local shop whose core business is homebrew supply. I think we have a good beer scene going here and I think its still growing. Now might be the right time for someone to try and get a startup going.

Phuck this *****enozzle LHBS the OP is dealing with. I place an order with BMW on Monday, it comes on Thursday and I'm ready to pitch my yeast into the starter wort that night, and I'm brewing Saturday AM. There is no way in hell I'm waiting a month. Screw them. Move on. Brew stronger and faster without them holding you back.

It would be faster for you to drive to NB in Milwaukee and pick it up yourself.

They must like you more. I usually don't get my items shipped till 3 days after I order.

I'm in Rochester too and feel much the same about our local options. It's nice to have BotW close but they are a retail beer store that dabbles in homebrewing and Sunset is a hydroponics store that dabbles in homebrewing. I'm glad they are both here and I buy stuff from them on occaision but it would be nice to have a local shop whose core business is homebrew supply. I think we have a good beer scene going here and I think its still growing. Now might be the right time for someone to try and get a startup going.

I keep meaning to check out Mayer's Cider Mill in Webster. I'd be shocked if they had even a halfway decent selection, but it can't hurt to see what they've got.

I was hoping the new BotW would have an expanded homebrew section, but IME it is even more poorly stocked than the Winton Plaza location. I live off of Edgewood, though, so the Winton Plaza location is just too awesomely close to me to pass up. heh...

And we do have a great beer scene here! We are so lucky. Although BMC is still the vast majority of the market, even hardcore BMC drinkers at least tend to know that craft brews exist, even if they have no interest.

Back