Stuck Ferment on lager !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
72 hours later my OG .060 has not went down at all . I used a danish lager yeast . I pitched at room temp , then put stright into the fridge .

I under pitched the yeast , at only 100billion cells , I DID NOT MAKE A STARTER .

MY QUESTION IS : 1.Will my wort be ok for the amount of time it spends without fermentation or will it spoil/go bad ?

2. How shuld I fix this ?

I cant get yeast till tomorrow 5-17-11 .

Your beer will be OK, maybe not award winning, but drinkable beer.

The good news is that because you pitched warm, the yeast probably started reproducing already & are building cell counts in anticipation of chewing on your wort. The bad news is that underpitching & pitching warm can give you some unintended off-flavors.

Questions: How cold is the fridge? What temperature is the wort? What is your intented fermenting temp?

My fridge is 47deg F I have know idea what the wort temp is , I would guss the wort will stay a cupple deg above that .

Do I have time to do a starter ? if yes ; that would mean the wort would be in the fermenter not fermenting for 6 days .

SO How do I save this brew ?

My fridge is 47deg F I have know idea what the wort temp is , I would guss the wort will stay a cupple deg above that .

Do I have time to do a starter ? if yes ; that would mean the wort would be in the fermenter not fermenting for 6 days .

SO How do I save this brew ?

When you buy more yeast tomorrow, buy three more packages and add that to the fermenter. Ideally, you'd have 6 packages for an OG of 1.060 without a starter and assuming the yeast is about a month from manufacture date, but that'd be really expensive!

COPY .

1. Do I take my wort out of fridge and let it warm to room temp allong with the yeast ?

OR

2. Do I keep my wort in the fridge and keep my yeast in the fridge and pitch cold ?

COPY .

1. Do I take my wort out of fridge and let it warm to room temp allong with the yeast ?

OR

2. Do I keep my wort in the fridge and keep my yeast in the fridge and pitch cold ?

Pitch cold. Always!

Just like for an ale, you don't pitch at 90 and then reduce it to 70, you don't want to pitch 20 degrees too warm for a lager either!

Pitching warm causes all sorts of problems with the flavor, because it's hard to drop 5 gallons of fermenting beer to the correct temperature quickly plus some of the esters and other unwanted flavors are formed in the first 24 hours.

Back