Breakfast Cereal in Mash???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonK331

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried adding a box of organic cereal to their mash. I'm very curious about this. I know it would have to be void of preservatives so it'd have to be organic. The possibilities would be endless, maybe something with some dried fruit and nuts in it??? Maybe toast it a little in the oven first???

A local club had a cereal lottery, the guy who got stuck with peanut butter captain crunch made a porter and won a best in class if I remember right at a local competition.

I don't think preservatives would be a big deal, especially since boiling for 60 minutes would likely break them down anyway.

Check this article out on BYO: https://***********/stories/article/indices/38-ingredients/488-confessions-of-a-cereal-brewer

There are probably millions of things that you could put in beer. But why?

Why would you put something that is overly processed, not really appropriate, and, most inscrutably, more expensive than the best grain?

Consider yourself a gourmet. Do you think that a french pastry chef would make a delicious dessert with the finest chocolate then crumble pop tarts on top?

A bunch of guys in our club were talking about this last year. Three of us decided to make beer with a different cereal. Cocoa puffs porter I think, reeses puffs milk stout, and i made an American wheat with Lucky Charms. The mash was rainbow colored. It was fun. Beers turned out good.

A bunch of guys in our club were talking about this last year. Three of us decided to make beer with a different cereal. Cocoa puffs porter I think, reeses puffs milk stout, and i made an American wheat with Lucky Charms. The mash was rainbow colored. It was fun. Beers turned out good.

How weird did the final color come out for the Wheat?

How weird did the final color come out for the Wheat?

All the color disappeared. It did end up a bit sweeter than a wheat should be, but it was well received. The ibus were low, though. It actually won a local competition in the light hybrid category. Here is the recipe if you are interested.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.26 %
5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) (2.0 SRM) Grain 52.63 %
4 lbs Wheat Malt, (2.0 SRM) Grain 42.11 %
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 13.4 IBU
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale
1lb. Box of Lucky Charms added to the mash...marshmallows and all

All the color disappeared. It did end up a bit sweeter than a wheat should be, but it was well received. The ibus were low, though. It actually won a local competition in the light hybrid category. Here is the recipe if you are interested.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.26 %
5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) (2.0 SRM) Grain 52.63 %
4 lbs Wheat Malt, (2.0 SRM) Grain 42.11 %
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 13.4 IBU
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale
1lb. Box of Lucky Charms added to the mash...marshmallows and all

I'm going to save this and try it with Fruity Pebbles for a 1 or 2 gallon batch in the coming months.

Back