cara-pils ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharmguy

Reaction score
Steeping it for a blonde ale. How much does this add to the OG? I have 5 pounds light DME abd 1 pound of Cara-pils I will steep for 20 min or so.

OK, i wont count it then. Thanks. So with a 5 gal boil and 5 lbs of DMW my OG should be about 1.04?

Steeping crystal grain, like cara-pils, will increase your OG. Download a free trial of beersmith, you'll be glad you did. It's well worth the ~21$ to buy.

All software programs have their problems. It's best to get used to using just one. Beer Calculus gets my OG very close. For FG you need to wait and see. IBUs and perceived bitterness seem to take some experience.

I tried both programs mentioned and either one was helpfull. There was no steeping category. Anyway, I brewed yesterday and ended up with an OG of 1.05 so the carapils contributed a bit for sure as I only used 5lbs of DME.

i use carapils in just about every recipe i make. it imparts very little color (just over 1 lovibond) no detectable flavor in ales, but adds body and helps with head retention.

Latest posts

Back