How many pounds...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kugster

Well-Known, Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How many pounds of grain have you been able to fit into your 5gal round igloo cooler...doing a batch sparge, and got a good efficiency??

I am using a 3/4" SS braid by the way...

A friend of mine & his wife want me to brew them a IIPA and I'm just wondering how big I can make it?

Kug (pronounced ~ KOOG)

How many pounds of grain have you been able to fit into your 5gal round igloo cooler...doing a batch sparge, and got a good efficiency??

I am using a 3/4" SS braid by the way...

A friend of mine & his wife want me to brew them a IIPA and I'm just wondering how big I can make it?

Kug (pronounced ~ KOOG)

12 Pounds was pushing it a wee bit.

The most I've ever tried in my 5 gallon Igloo w/ stainless braid is 10.5# @ 1.33qt/#. That puts me within an inch of the bottom of the lid. I batch sparge and get in the neighborhood of 70% efficiency (+/-2%).

i have done 14lbs @ 60.2%
10 lbs yields me high 70's

make a 4 gallon batch, use 14lbs, and boil for 2 hours before you first hop addition :)

nah, seriously tho, to make a 1084 beer, i used 15lbs of grain, and split it into 2 mashes/4 sparges... ended up 9 gallons in the kettle, and started the boil with the first runnings!
long ass brew day.

im tellin everyone this....home depot has a 10 gallon round rubbermaid you can swap all your 5 gallon manifolding into for about 40 bucks out the door. then you could easily do 22lbs of grain! IIIPA !

Back