Brewing Gloves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't deal with QD's, but use heavy pot holder gloves for everything else.

There are quite a few silicone baking gloves on the market that are good to several hundred degrees.

Orka Silicone mitts are the best. They are waterproof and safe up to 500! I can literally stick my hand in boiling water (for a few seconds) without feeling anything.

Leather and cloth is great, but for wet environments, I think you can't beat silicone. The only downside is your use of fingers is severely limited.

Mechanix Wear - Fabricator Glove

fab.jpg

I like nomex flight gloves. You retain full dexterity and you can touch very hot things briefly (the material absolutely will not burn or melt).

Orka Silicone mitts are the best. They are waterproof and safe up to 500! I can literally stick my hand in boiling water (for a few seconds) without feeling anything.

This sounds interesting. I will check them out. Oven mitts are very dangerous in wet environments. If you soak one of those with boiling water, you are toast. Don't ask.....

Welders glove. I already had them for the designed application so now it's like they are free for the brewing stuff.:rockin:

I use regular old hide gloves. In fact, they're the same gloves I use for yardwork, mowing the lawn, and anything else I need hand protection for.

I may have to buy a new pair this spring, since a couple of the fingers are getting holes. Why is it that just when good gloves are really broken in and comfortable is when they get a hole and die? They're like jeans.

Careful, one thing about brewing with gloves is that if you accidentally spill boiling wort on your hands, the gloves keep that boiling liquid right on your hands. Trust me, it sucks.

But I normally use Mechanix gloves from Autozone.

Careful, one thing about brewing with gloves is that if you accidentally spill boiling wort on your hands, the gloves keep that boiling liquid right on your hands. Trust me, it sucks.

But I normally use Mechanix gloves from Autozone.

Yes, that was the idea behind this post. I was wondering if anyone uses a good, heat proof, waterproof glove that could handle hose changes and the inevitable splash of hot liquid. Soaking a cowhide glove is worse than not using anything at all! I saw soem three finger silicone jobs that look interesting.

Yes, that was the idea behind this post. I was wondering if anyone uses a good, heat proof, waterproof glove that could handle hose changes and the inevitable splash of hot liquid. Soaking a cowhide glove is worse than not using anything at all! I saw soem three finger silicone jobs that look interesting.

Where did you find the silicone ones at? Got a link?

I like welding gloves. I can even rearrange the charcoal if I'm running the BBQ at the same time.

i use gloves for grilling that are oversized by that I mean that they come half way up my arm. This is good for dumping a pot full of hot liquid. Heck I am able to grab the pot by the handle with one hand and place my hand under the bottom with the other. That makes it so easy to pour.

Back