Barley Wine Idea, need help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjjohnson

Reaction score
Thinking of doing a Barley Wine, this is my idea, how does it look? Adivce?

Carapils/Dextrine Malt-1lb
Flaked Barley-2lb
Munich Malt-5lb
Victory Malt (Toasted)-1lb
6-Row Malt-2lb
Belgian Biscuit Malt-2lb
Belgian Special B Malt-1lb
Dark Belgian Candi Sugar - 1 lb
2-Row Malt -6lb

Warrior Whole Hops - 2 oz. 60min
Amarillo Whole Hops - 2 oz. 30min
Fuggles Whole - 2 oz. 15min

WLP715 Champagne Yeast
WLP028 WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast

:

I am wondering why both the 6-row and the 2-row, or is this just to clean out the cupboard?

A bit heavy-handed on the hops (you could easily cut by 50% on all three additions and stay within profile), but should prove interesting otherwise.

Oh, and unless you're using the champagne yeast to dry it out further, the WLP028 should handle that just fine. Just make sure you have a nice big starter.

IMO, I think you will end up regretting 1lb of Victory plus 2lbs of Biscuit malt plus the Special B. That is a lot of those malts, a little goes a long way.

I agree, no need for 6 row and 2 row. I'd also keep it closer to 15-17 lbs of base malt, then split your adjuncts between the last 5-3 lbs. Remember you are trying to get most of your fermentables from the base (2 row and in your case munich).

IMO, I think you will end up regretting 1lb of Victory plus 2lbs of Biscuit malt plus the Special B. That is a lot of those malts, a little goes a long way.

+1 Victory and Biscuit are very similar malts and 3# is a lot for a specialty malt.

I disagree that you have too much hops. American Barleywines tend to be over the top in hops. With the level of malt in this beer it is hard to over hop.

No need for the champagne yeast not for the 6-row. I think dextrin malt is unnecessary in a big beer, it will have plenty of unfermentables without the carapils. And I have not seen flaked barley in a beer like this. Usually it is only used in Dry stouts.

Craig

Simplify the recipe. Don't use the champaign yeast and go with a Cal. Ale variety instead. Listen to Jamil's American Barley Wine episode and follow his lead and recipe.

http://s125483039.onlinehome.us/archive/Jamil01-15-07.mp3

Don't be so modest.

Here is another couple excellent Barley Wine recipes:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f74/ag-water-into-barleywine-26724/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/09-09-09-barleywine-swap-guidelines-recipe-64150/#post658744 (Brewpastor's recipe; I have brewed this one, excellent beer)

Not saying you need to copy any of these, but they are excellent, proven places to start/reference.

One of the best home brewed barleywines I have tasted, I asked about the recipe. This is what it was:

10# Amber DME
7oz Fuggles hops split between bittering flavor and aroma additions.

Simple is good. :)

Okay.. Lets try this

7lbs 2-Row
8lbs Maris Otter
8lbs Munich Malt
1/2lb Buscuit Malt
1/2lb Crystal 10L
1/2lb Chocolate Malt
1/2lb Vienna Malt
1/2lb Rosted Barley
1lb Belgian Candi Sugar

1oz Nugget 90min
1oz Columbus 45min
1oz Northern Brewer 30min
1oz Galena 15min
1oz Fuggels Flame Out

Same yeast just use champagne yeast for extra bubbles!:ban:

champagne yeast won't make it any more bubbly. Just make sure you go through every step to get a healthy ferment. Make a huge starter.

I highly recommend using Jamil's Pitching Rate Calculator.

Also, hold off on the candi sugar until fermentation has started. I know it will throw off your OG calculation. After fermentation has been going for about a day, boil the sugar in a small amount of water, cool it and add it to the beer.

Back