The ONE difference between men and women

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let's face it, men and women are different.

But I discovered the ONE difference that shows all of the rest of the differences.

You know how you and your partner have the "FREEBIE?" The one if you met in person, you could have relations with, and no problem?

Ok, well, one of my (much younger) friends and I found out this summer that we have the same Freebie- Eddie Vedder.

So, the conversation between Bob and I:

Bob: Eddie Vedder is your Freebie, huh?
Me: Oh, yeah. Eddie Vedder has it all- looks, talent, intelligence, moral indignation, integrity. Oh yeah, I'd do him. five times, if he'd let me.
Bob: Huh.
Me: Oh, yeah. Over and over.
Bob: Huh.
Me: Who'd you choose?
Bob: Hmmmm, let's see. [thinking]. {face lights up} Just you, honey.
Me: You can't count me. Who else?
Bob: Huh. I can't win this one. If I say some someone, you'll get all insecure and worry about it.
Me: No I won't! I mean, it's a fantasy!
Bob: No, I don't have anyone. And if I did, I wouldn't tell you.
Me: Well, I already told you mine! That's not fair.
Bob: Ok, ok, mine is the girl who works at the McDonald's Drive-Thru on Fridays.
Me: {hitting him} Shut up! It is not. You are friends with her mother!
Bob: Ok. Not her. But I'm not playing this game! I can't win. There is no one, I swear. And definitely NOT Reese Witherspoon. Now, can I have a beer?

He's so dead. Reese Witherspoon is lame.

You know what's really HAWT?

When you and your girlfriend/spouse have the same one. ;)

I had an ex girlfriend who had the same hots as I did for Nigella Lawson. Those were the days.

You know what's really HAWT?

When you and your girlfriend/spouse have the same one. ;)

I had an ex girlfriend who had the same hots as I did for Nigella Lawson't on. Those were the days.

Ok, but let's talk.

Eddie Vedder is hot. So hot. So full of integrity and art. You can see that, can't you? I mean, he's so hot you must feel it too.

And when you listen to "Ukelele Songs" and he sings "sleeping by myself tonight", don't you just want to cuddle up to him and say, "NO!"? No? Ok, maybe it's just me. But Eddie Vedder must NOT sleep alone. We should start a movement.

Gotta' go with Bob on this one - but I am a guy... No win situations suck, and that is one.

Oh, and I also agree with Skagdog - but again, I am a guy :)

Gotta' go with Bob on this one - but I am a guy... No win situations suck, and that is one.

Oh, and I also agree with Skagdog - but again, I am a guy :)

I just had to laugh. As guy, Bob has no illusions that he's any Eddie Vedder. But he knows women (me) well enough to know that even if he picked an ugly woman, a woman would compare herself to his ideal and let it bother her. So he chooses to not do that.

Except sort of.

I did laugh. Except.............I'm sort of a skinny Reese Witherspoon, if I had lighter colored hair. And your eyes are half closed. And your back is turned.

I don't get the Eddie Vedder thing. I just don't look at guys with any idea of looks. And I don't know him well enough to judge his moral character, etc if that even matters for a Freebie.

I can say that I don't have a "Freebie" either, because there are just SO MANY women to choose from. So I'd have to side with Bob on this one. I'm guessing the McD's girl is pretty hot. And I bet she could get free fries too.

Homercidal said:
I don't get the Eddie Vedder thing. I just don't look at guys with any idea of looks. And I don't know him well enough to judge his moral character, etc if that even matters for a Freebie.

I can say that I don't have a "Freebie" either, because there are just SO MANY women to choose from. So I'd have to side with Bob on this one. I'm guessing the McD's girl is pretty hot. And I bet she could get free fries too.

Lol...

Ok so seriously, you're not able to judge aesthetics in a dude? Ugly guys and good looking guys all look the same?

I'm guessing the McD's girl is pretty hot. And I bet she could get free fries too.

Well, there you go. The difference between men and women.

My fantasy is about someone who is artistic, and has battled with ticketmaster to make prices affordable to the masses, cried out for helping the disenfranchised all the while espousing conservation for the environment.

Men I know hope for a hot chick with french fries.

I think my point has been made.

Lol...

Ok so seriously, you're not able to judge aesthetics in a dude? Ugly guys and good looking guys all look the same?

Eddie Vedder is hotter than a "brad pitt low class" sort of way. Ask you wife if you don't believe me.

If she says "EWWWW", don't believe her. because we're all supposed to say "EWWWW" at hippies. But Eddie Vedder is hot in a "u can't touch this" way. Beyond hot. Like Robert Redford in the 70s, and Paul Newman in the early 80s. Scorching hot. Like Chris Cornell with pheromones. Trust me on this.

I haven't properly introduced myself around here yet, but I just couldn't leave this one alone...

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife said "Pass" on Eddie Vedder. Her freebie is Sean Patrick Flanery, but she also has a creepy school girl crush on Kevin James. So, her opinion is skewed and it makes me wonder which end of the spectrum I fall into.

Lol...

I didn't say they look the same. But they are all pretty much equal as far as attractiveness. I just can't evaluate men on their attractiveness. Unless they are just FUGLY, that is, or has a non-hygienic lifestyle and smells bad. That's just plain gross.

I guess if I had to choose just ONE lady for a freebie night it might currently be Karen Gillan (Amy Pond on Dr. Who). I'm not normally into redheads, but she is hot. She can keep wearing them short skirts. :cross:

That's who the Vedder dude looks like! I was trying to figure it out, it was bugging me

No. You guys are goofy. Russel Crowe is not hot. Because he's mean. And he looks mean.

See, women love that "I'm masculine but artsy" thing. You'll protect us from bad guys and kick their asses, save the environment, and the spotted owls (or whatever), and then make up a song for us in your spare time!!!!!!! THAT's what women want.

Ok so the wife says Crowe is way hotter than Vedder. I have a theory on that though. My wife is very quiet and sensitive, so I think a more aggressive man is going to be appealing to her. Where you, Yooper, seem to be more outspoken and so a more artsy and sensitive man is attractive to you. At least that's the most sense of it I can make. Since they look absolutely freakin identical.

I didn't say they look the same. But they are all pretty much equal as far as attractiveness. I just can't evaluate men on their attractiveness. Unless they are just FUGLY, that is, or has a non-hygienic lifestyle and smells bad. That's just plain gross.

I guess if I had to choose just ONE lady for a freebie night it might currently be Karen Gillan (Amy Pond on Dr. Who). I'm not normally into redheads, but she is hot. She can keep wearing them short skirts. :cross:

+1, I'll be sad to see her go tomorrow. I hope she gets into some cool after DW. The new companion looks hot as hell though.

And yea... sorry Yooper but Bob is smart to stay out of it. up until he mentioned Reese Witherspoon...

jhorgan1 said:
And yea... sorry Yooper but Bob is smart to stay out of it. up until he mentioned Reese Witherspoon...

I thought Bob's fatal flaw was the McDonald's girl. Everyone knows you never pick a person in your daily life when you play this game.

I haven't properly introduced myself around here yet, but I just couldn't leave this one alone...
Ha

I thought Bob's fatal flaw was the McDonald's girl. Everyone knows you never pick a person in your daily life when you play this game.

Right!

I used to like Mark McGrath, but now I'm going with Shemar Moore. He used to be on a soap I watched, now he's on Criminal Minds.

Well... my wife will play this game with me. She puts up with my oohhing and aahhing every night when I watch the local news.

Hands down, imho, THE most beautiful, sexy woman in the world...NBC local channel 2 news anchor Dominique Sachse.

I've seen her once at a local annual airshow in the Houston area once, almost fainted... Me, not her
dom-headshot1.jpg

See, women love that "I'm masculine but artsy" thing. You'll protect us from bad guys and kick their asses, save the environment, and the spotted owls (or whatever), and then make up a song for us in your spare time!!!!!!! THAT's what women want.

I knew my triple degree in music, environmental activism and martial arts would come in handy one day! :cross:

I think of this ad for John Smiths Bitter here in the UK every time this sort of conversation takes place..... Oh aye.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddie Vedder? Really? He's a sort of a puss. Isn't he from southern California? He would never survive your UP winters. You could never keep his skinny surfer-ass warm enough! Yooper, I had you pegged for a Red Green type of girl...

As for Bob: REESE WITHERSPOON!?! Really? She's so lame! That's a safe choice. I want to know what Bob is really thinking, because I'm thinking Charlize Theron. I'm thinking about her right now!

I just had to laugh. As guy, Bob has no illusions that he's any Eddie Vedder. But he knows women (me) well enough to know that even if he picked an ugly woman, a woman would compare herself to his ideal and let it bother her. So he chooses to not do that.

Except sort of.

I did laugh. Except.............I'm sort of a skinny Reese Witherspoon, if I had lighter colored hair. And your eyes are half closed. And your back is turned.

This made me and the wife laugh our asses off. This sounds like our house except that I am smart enough to know, but just like to throw gas on a fire.

Smart man not answering that.

Personally Charlotte Wessels from the band Delain.
MFVF-7-Charlotte-Wessels-Delain-a18955345.jpg

For an American female, Reese would probably be near the top of the list.

Except sort of.

IMO, there are FAR more things to love about a woman than how she looks with "lighter colored hair. And your eyes are half closed. And your back is turned"...

My wife may not be Amy Adams (damn it!), but she knows when to kick me in the @ss, ignore me when I deserve it, and keep me interested in her. I think that is the most valuable skill a woman can possess.

If a spouse becomes boring, therapy or divorce follows.

My wife tries to play this game w/ me. I don't fall for it any more because she still holds the names I said 8 years ago when we were dating against me. No way I'm falling for that again.

And yeah, Bob is a fool to mention the McD's chick unless he was close to sealing the deal and was hoping for a blessing so he wouldn't have to hide it. Which is still a bad move.

And yeah, Bob is a fool to mention the McD's chick unless he was close to sealing the deal and was hoping for a blessing so he wouldn't have to hide it. Which is still a bad move.

Oh, he was messing with me. He wouldn't go anywhere near a fast food place, and I'm certain he has never been even in the McDonald's parking lot. But we know most of the people in town, so I'm sure he'd know the kids' parents anyway!

Smart man not answering that.

Personally Charlotte Wessels from the band Delain.
MFVF-7-Charlotte-Wessels-Delain-a18955345.jpg

For an American female, Reese would probably be near the top of the list.

I've never heard of her, but she is definitely hot. Salma Hayek is my personal favorite , but really I have a thing for any hot and curvy latin woman.

Studies have shown that women look for a LOT of different things in a man. Men mostly go for "is she hot?" For instance, women will rate a man's physical attractiveness very differently if they know his career, income level, etc. For guys, it generally doesn't matter much. Think about it: Women will tell you that men can be "hot" in 3-piece suits, carrharts, tee shirts, khakis, uniforms, etc. Women are hot in short skirts, bikinis, and less. See the difference there? One is about social status, value as a protector/provider/etc... and the other is about skin. That's just how it is.

That IS a fundamental difference between men and women.

IMHO, there's one reason to be faithful: kids. Otherwise, hey, maybe there's someone better. Maybe it'll take you 10 years to find her. Maybe the person you're with right now is a great person and will always be a great person. But if there's somebody better, there's nothing shameful about wanting to find that person. The notion that you will meet the one person who is right for you is just a crock. LOTS of people are REALLY cool. I mean, do people really think that if they hadn't met their current spouse that their life would have been completely empty and lonely? Bah! Of course not! You would have just found somebody else. There's thousands of people you'd probably be interested in, if the situation were right. So get the idea of someone being perfect for you completely out of your head.

The important thing is honesty and integrity and character. Be upfront about it and there isn't really much of a problem. Love is such bull****. We make people feel like they need to stay in relationships they don't want to be in, do more than they want to do, change who they are to appease another person. Then we wonder why half of marriages wind up in divorce. F that. Just be happy with yourself, treat your partners with respect, and stand up for yourself and others as human beings, whatever your or their interests or desires may be. A man, or a woman, is not something to be captured and tamed and tricked into a relationship.

In my life, I've dated about 10 girls who I knew I could be totally happy having a committed relationship with. They were all great girls. And I can count my bad relationships on one hand... I'm generally pretty good at pushing away the wrong ones for me. But ultimately, I'm better for having all the time in the world to find the people that mean the most to me. All the pressures of "settling down" or whatever is for chumps and people who want the suburban dream.

One of my current GF's has a kid. And that kid is awesome. We've talked about it. I've got no interest in playing baby's daddy. But I've got no issue whatsoever being a male role model and enjoying watching him grow up to be a man. This summer, I helped teach him to swim and, I just have to say, that was AWESOME! Other women I'm with just have to accept the fact that I think the kid is pretty cool and I enjoy seeing him grow up. If they can't handle that, then they just don't have any respect for being a decent human being. If their need to have me is greater than their appreciation for what it means to have relationships with people, then they just aren't right for me.

I grew up with lots of positive male role models. My dad is one of the best people on the planet, as far as I'm concerned (and is still married to my mother), but I remember lots of other grown up guys that were really cool and taught me a lot as well. You don't need to be called "Dad" to be a great guy and to have a huge positive impact on a child's life. And you don't need a woman to make your life complete.

As for freebies... they're all freebies to me. Just don't make stupid choices. :ban:

Just my two cents.

Sir Humpsalot said:
Studies have shown that women look for a LOT of different things in a man. Men mostly go for "is she hot?" For instance, women will rate a man's physical attractiveness very differently if they know his career, income level, etc. For guys, it generally doesn't matter much. Think about it: Women will tell you that men can be "hot" in 3-piece suits, carrharts, tee shirts, khakis, uniforms, etc. Women are hot in short skirts, bikinis, and less. See the difference there? One is about social status, value as a protector/provider/etc... and the other is about skin. That's just how it is.

That IS a fundamental difference between men and women.

IMHO, there's one reason to be faithful: kids. Otherwise, hey, maybe there's someone better. Maybe it'll take you 10 years to find her. Maybe the person you're with right now is a great person and will always be a great person. But if there's somebody better, there's nothing shameful about wanting to find that person. The notion that you will meet the one person who is right for you is just a crock. LOTS of people are REALLY cool. I mean, do people really think that if they hadn't met their current spouse that their life would have been completely empty and lonely? Bah! Of course not! You would have just found somebody else. There's thousands of people you'd probably be interested in, if the situation were right. So get the idea of someone being perfect for you completely out of your head.

The important thing is honesty and integrity and character. Be upfront about it and there isn't really much of a problem. Love is such bull****. We make people feel like they need to stay in relationships they don't want to be in, do more than they want to do, change who they are to appease another person. Then we wonder why half of marriages wind up in divorce. F that. Just be happy with yourself, treat your partners with respect, and stand up for yourself and others as human beings, whatever your or their interests or desires may be. A man, or a woman, is not something to be captured and tamed and tricked into a relationship.

In my life, I've dated about 10 girls who I knew I could be totally happy having a committed relationship with. They were all great girls. And I can count my bad relationships on one hand... I'm generally pretty good at pushing away the wrong ones for me. But ultimately, I'm better for having all the time in the world to find the people that mean the most to me. All the pressures of "settling down" or whatever is for chumps and people who want the suburban dream.

One of my current GF's has a kid. And that kid is awesome. We've talked about it. I've got no interest in playing baby's daddy. But I've got no issue whatsoever being a male role model and enjoying watching him grow up to be a man. This summer, I helped teach him to swim and, I just have to say, that was AWESOME! Other women I'm with just have to accept the fact that I think the kid is pretty cool and I enjoy seeing him grow up. If they can't handle that, then they just don't have any respect for being a decent human being. If their need to have me is greater than their appreciation for what it means to have relationships with people, then they just aren't right for me.

I grew up with lots of positive male role models. My dad is one of the best people on the planet, as far as I'm concerned (and is still married to my mother), but I remember lots of other grown up guys that were really cool and taught me a lot as well. You don't need to be called "Dad" to be a great guy and to have a huge positive impact on a child's life. And you don't need a woman to make your life complete.

As for freebies... they're all freebies to me. Just don't make stupid choices. :ban:

Just my two cents.

That was more like a buck twelve.

Back