another hops in TX thread, Pearland TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HARDHEAD

Reaction score
newbie to the site, been brewing for 5 years
so yes of coarse i have to try these myself.
planted centenial,willimete,fuggles.....just to see what happens

me and the wife love gardening and grow some awsome tomotoes:rockin:

3 rhizomes in ea mound of ea style

wish me luck

hops in the ground 3/21

busting thru on 3/25

101_0323.jpg

101_0321-1.jpg

3/29 leaves opening
101_0327.jpg

101_0326.jpg

101_0325.jpg

4/7.....training around hemp twine
101_0332.jpg

101_0335.jpg

101_0333.jpg

more pics to follow

That is awesome! I have some growing here in El Paso TX as well. My Willamette really suffer in the heat though. I water every day once it gets really hot here.

You will not regret growing them though they are so much fun to brew with.

i just started some in Pearland as well, i have little worms eating the crap out of them. everyday i kill 3-4 little grey/black worms. i am growing them in the rope handle buckets from home depot i might transplant them though

4/12 pictures added.....on a side note i dont have high hopes of any success
im sure once temps hit the high 90's or 100's they will dry up and spontaneous combust into flames....buy that wont keep me from trying

already seams like some of the new tender leaves are getting a lil sun burn

i do have them partial shape and hope that helps, i do have another area to try if i dont have any luck.

so far fuggles all 3 rhizomes up and running
centennial, all 3 up and running
willimette when in ground on 4/8.....not yet up

101_0345.jpg

101_0344.jpg

101_0343.jpg

i just started some in Pearland as well, i have little worms eating the crap out of them. everyday i kill 3-4 little grey/black worms. i am growing them in the rope handle buckets from home depot i might transplant them though

nice glad to see another local on here, u buying off net or defalcos?

Kickbutt Pearland Brewers! I thought I was the only one!

I've got some hops busting through now as well, 2 Chinook and 2 Cascades. Chinook is being a lot slower.

a little of both usually I buy yeast local and any last minute specialty grains i might need. you?

mostly local defalcos, they have a ok selection of grains and always fresh bulk extracts. some times dont have the hops i want ect,ect a lil pricey but its on my way home.

my usual brews consist of a 3 lbs assorted grains and 5-7 lbs liquid extract

Kickbutt Pearland Brewers! I thought I was the only one!

I've got some hops busting through now as well, 2 Chinook and 2 Cascades. Chinook is being a lot slower.

hey small world:mug:

what side of town im on west side 288 area

just noticed the time? whats up with that i got 1:53 pm

hey small world:mug:

what side of town im on west side 288 area

just noticed the time? whats up with that i got 1:53 pm

Technically, the address is Houston, but if I cross the street, I'm in Pearland. I'm spittin' distance from the Bass Pro Shop.

I guess I'm posting from an hour in the past. I should play the lottery tonight!

Always wanted to try and grow hops but figured they would just die from the heat. I am now inspired to try. It is also awesome to see other Pearland brewers...this may call for a meeting someday to share some brews...

with all due respect, but whats up with growing hops in texas? am i missing something??

ps
dont mean to high jack this thread, but i was just wondering

mark

The heat and sun are unbearable for most people and plants.

I think the humidity in the Houston area may help.

West Texas seems like a stretch. Same with southwest Oklahoma were I live.

People don't realize how hot it gets in this part of the country. You can still get heat stroke in September.

Always wanted to try and grow hops but figured they would just die from the heat. I am now inspired to try. It is also awesome to see other Pearland brewers...this may call for a meeting someday to share some brews...

Where and when? I am over in Sugar Land - full kegerator and a bunch in bottles! LOL.

My 2nd year Cascades are at the top of the garage and are putting out the cones already. The new batch of 1st years are just now up through the mulch.

Where and when? I am over in Sugar Land - full kegerator and a bunch in bottles! LOL.

My 2nd year Cascades are at the top of the garage and are putting out the cones already. The new batch of 1st years are just now up through the mulch.

thats awsome, they in full or partial sun

Ashford, when did you plant? I bet we could get away with planting a bit earlier down here to try and avoid the massive heat...

Side note conversation, we could all meet up perhaps at a byob restaurant in Pearland...anyone know of any?:mug:

Ashford, when did you plant? I bet we could get away with planting a bit earlier down here to try and avoid the massive heat...

Side note conversation, we could all meet up perhaps at a byob restaurant in Pearland...anyone know of any?:mug:

Planted in late March 2010 - just as early as the rhizomes got to the mail box. The second year plant sprouted by late February this year. The growth cycle is definitely earlier down here. I have baby cones forming already too.

I am up for a meet just about anytime. I don't know Pearland well enough to recommend restaurants. Have beer - will travel!

I'm trying for the first time this year. Sounds like I planted a bit late - just got it potted about a week ago. I'm worried about getting enough light though. Lots of shade up here in the woodlands. It's gonna be partial sun at best...

pictures taken 4/20

hops are doing great, water everyday in this heat
around 7 foot mark, really taking off you can almost watch em grow from morning til night

101_0362.jpg

101_0361.jpg

101_0360.jpg

late bloomer
101_0359.jpg

toms looking good
101_0363.jpg

pics from 4/25 really taking off, lots of activity the last few days, i beleive i see the lil burrs forming.......is this possible from 1st year LHBS rhizomes?

anyway on to the crappy pictures.....i need a new camera
i guess this is my hop attempt/ home grow toms thread

101_0376-1.jpg

grew a foot....in 3 days
101_0377.jpg

burrs? is it possible
101_0378-1.jpg

101_0379-1.jpg

101_0383.jpg

101_0383.jpg

101_0375-1.jpg

peek a boo i see u
101_0355.jpg

101_0356.jpg

willimette and fuggles taking off, centennial stalling a bit(most sun)
around 8' of the C and F.......4 ft on the W

only 3 types growing this year
really bad pictures.....5/2/11

101_0398.jpg

101_0397.jpg

big ass texas brown ale from defalcos.com
101_0391.jpg

goes good w/ mud bugs
101_0389.jpg

newbie to the site, been brewing for 5 years
so yes of coarse i have to try these myself.
planted centenial,willimete,fuggles.....just to see what happens

me and the wife love gardening and grow some awsome tomotoes:rockin:

3 rhizomes in ea mound of ea style

wish me luck

hops in the ground 3/21

busting thru on 3/25

101_0323.jpg

101_0321-1.jpg

3/29 leaves opening
101_0327.jpg

101_0326.jpg

101_0325.jpg

4/7.....training around hemp twine
101_0332.jpg

101_0335.jpg

101_0333.jpg

more pics to follow

I am in Pearland as well and i missed the boat on planting Hops this season. They are coming along. I am glad they can grow in this heat.

update 5/25
plants are 12-15 feet and have cones
HOA is replacing fence for the 3rd time
101_0433.jpg

101_0432.jpg

101_0431.jpg

101_0430.jpg

tomatos 8.5' tall over 70 tomatos ea plant
have to pick several early mocking birds are killing em by pecking holes in em
going to make green tomato relish
101_0429.jpg

GEORGE1016.jpg

Grrrrr... That last picture makes me want to give up on tomatos. I've been growing them for 5 years now here in oregon, and my best year ever was about as much as you've got on your counter now! Last year I had 12 plants and due to our late, wet, cold spring I only got about two dozen slicers fully ripe and maybe 3 lbs. of cherries. This year I'm going to plant 15+ plants, and half of them are super early variety indet. Hopefully I'll get a better haul. Oh yea, and around here my stupice (super early variety) don't ripen until the beginning of July.

On a side note, I planted my hops about 4 weeks ago and the cascade and willamettes are already 3 ft. tall. I may have to go all southpark mad geneticist and breed a hop that grows tomatos.

105 deg not heat index actual temp....yes it was 105 here in pearland on 6/5/11. so far hops are still alive, watering twice a day. cones are small but ready to pick. made 3 gallons of spag sauce and 2.5 gallons salsa....
101_0453-1.jpg

101_0452-1.jpg

took for a friend overseas
101_0457.jpg

It was definitely one hot beast outside yesterday!......and today as well

still hot...look at next 7 days here in houston

so far hops are still kicking...willimette is really doing good in 99 deg weather

ill get some pictures....already havested cones off fuggle and cenntenial

7daytest.jpg

still hot...look at next 7 days here in houston

so far hops are still kicking...willimette is really doing good in 99 deg weather

ill get some pictures....already havested cones off fuggle and cenntenial

Damn, its going to be 1001 degrees on Friday? :cross:

Update pics!

as requested....average temp is 98-99....still kicking
havested a good dried once so far...several more cones just coming out.....im supprised willimete is looking great still

tom's still producing...man ive gotten over 100 per plant...no joke at all

101_0530.jpg

101_0529.jpg

101_0528.jpg

101_0527.jpg

101_0567.jpg

101_0526.jpg

101_0525.jpg

those tomatoes are amazing, ive been experimenting with dehydrating them myself....had some pretty good results.....im over in friendswood and just moved here so i might try for a fall hops garden if i can find the rhizomes.....

Wow wow wow on your tomatoes. What varieties are you growing? Up in Austin we're suffering... Most people are here have already given up on tomatoes. Ours are still producing a little but not much. Without any rain we've had to resort to watering with our city tap water which is 9.5 - 10.0 pH. Crazy pH right?

So frustrating! I'm in Pearland as well, and with daily waterings, I have still yet to see a cone on my 2 Cascades and 1 Zeus. I planted in early April. It's just too dern hot out here. Nice lookin' maters though!

I'm over in League City, I didn't think hops would make it here no matter how much you watered, but seeing this I might have to go ahead and give it a shot next year. Anyone know how hops do near salt water? I'm only a few blocks from Clear Lake and I've had some issues in my garden with salt sensitive plants.

Back