Is it uncouth to bottle wine in beer bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've searched, but can't find an adequate answer...

other than not being able to use a cork screw, is there anything wrong with bottling wine in regular beer bottles with regular caps?

(the main question is referring to storing wine for ~1 year using regular bottle caps).

You're a disgusting barbarian. What a revolting concept. Have you no respect for the grape? :mad:

Naw, I'm just kidding. I've bottled wine in old used pop bottles before. If you don't have the traditional container, bottle with whatever works. :mug:

I used to always bottle samples in beer bottles so I could see how wine was aging. Only reason I didn't do that nonw (just started on wine again) is because I forgot to get any caps.

The beer bottles also were nice for individual servings. Gave two glasses, just about right for wine with dinner. Or wine on the train. Joys of being a commuter. :)

But if you want to seem less of a barbarian, just call them splits instead of beer bottles. ;)

me thinks I have a name now:

Barbarian Blackberry wine....

Thanks fellas! :tank:

and I can fool the ladies with the splitz thing...."oh you didn't know: 355 mL is way more 2009 than 750 mL - that's soooooo 1909"

me thinks I have a name now:

Barbarian Blackberry wine....

Thanks fellas! :tank:

and I can fool the ladies with the splitz thing...."oh you didn't know: 355 mL is way more 2009 than 750 mL - that's soooooo 1909"

LOL... but really alot of use bottle meade in beer bottles, and the same with the turbo strength apple wine that we have all afectionatly doubed it Apfelwine... Cider is really a type of wine, just stronger and well younger... so beer bottles work just fine... and as revvy said youll be trendy

Cheers

Back