have my water analysis - whats next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahunter1819

Reaction score
So i have my water analysis and im curious what my next step is? i downloaded Bru'n water but i think thats just confusing things even more...what i basically want to know is based on my water profile what do i need to add for specific styles. any help you all can provide would be awesome! thanks in advance!

did you read through the "Water information" sheet in Bru'n water? It was very complete in the explanations of how to build a water profile.

The next step is to tell us what it is. If you are lucky you may not have to do much (i.e. follow the Primer). If unlucky you may have to treat for high alkalinity or even throw the water out and use RO.

I did a quick google search and this was under the cities water report under beer brewing. So anybody else can chime in. It looks like high ph so maybe buy some 5.5 ph
Water Quality Characteristic

Average Value in Raleigh Water
Calcium 6.01 mg/l
Sodium33.00 mg/l
Magnesium2.50 mg/l
Potassium 2.60 mg/l
Hardness as CaCO3
25.00 mg/l
Hardness (grains per gallon)
Alkalinity (as CaC03)
27.8 mg/l
pH (SU)
Sulfate
46.7 mg/l
Chloride
12.4 mg/l

Water pH is meaningless in brewing. However, that report suggests that the water source is not that bad. As long as the iron and manganese levels are low, it should be workable in brewing. You do still have to treat the water to make best use of it.

I'm in Cary NC so have basically the same water. If you don't want to get complicated then the water chemistry primer instructions work great with our water.

Back