Measuring Calcium Chloride

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it a good idea any time. People put lots of reliance on equilibrium conditions and assume that concentrations, activities etc. will be those that examination of thermodynamic equilibrium produce. Thermodynamics gives us a means for computing these quantities at equilibrium but gives us no indication how long it takes to reach equilibrium or indeed it it will ever be reached. In most cases analysis of equilibrium conditions is very helpful and this may well be one of those cases but I do have some concerns. If, for example, one made a saturated solution of calcium chloride at one temperature and allowed it to cool it would be supersaturated at the lower temperature. The argument then is that the crystals would grow as the extra CaCl2 comes out of solution and I don't doubt that this is what happens. But think about making rock candy if you ever did that as a kid. It takes some time for the crystals to grow. I don't have data about CaCl2 in this regard but I'd want to be cautious until I did and would therefore take density measurements until I did. Since it's so easy to do that I don't frankly see much appeal in the CaCl2 case (with Ca(OH)2 we don't really have much choice).

All this is probably mooted by the fact that we are not trying to do certifiable quantitative chemistry here but just get an estimate (±10 - 20%?) of how much CaCl2 we are putting in our mash tuns.

Yes supersaturation is an aspect regarding crystalization.
I'm not sure if all the reader are familiar with the term supersaturation:
Supersaturation is a state of a solution that contains more of the dissolved material than could be dissolved by the solvent under normal circumstances

An important aspect of supersaturation is "seed crystal" or nucleus (small solid particles)
A liquid crossing its standard saturation point it will crystalize in the precence of a seed cyrstal or nucleus around which a crystal structure can form creating a solid.

When a crystal layer is present in the bottom of a bottle containing supersaturated liquid the surface of the crystal layer will act as crystal seeds hence initiate crystalization of the supersaturated liquid.

Below is an interesting video showing crystalisation of a supersaturated liquid with CaCl2.
There is no crystal layer in the bottom but a little crystal seed is put into the liquid to start the process.
Watch and enjoy

Just to make sure I'm doing this right.

I took a 250ml flask, added 20g of CaCl2, and added distilled water to the 200ml mark.

Measured my gravity and it was at 1.070. Enter that into the formula and I get 86.07 g/L.

So if I need 6g of CaCl2 to brew I'd add 6g/86g/L = .069L (69ml), right?
That is exactly what I got too.
aj-2.jpg

Not sure of your math? Is it that I, @LSUGrad0 and others have got different results than you.

You are right...it's 74,76 grams.

70mL*0,998203*1,070 = 74,7654047

I find it easier to weigh the solution instead of measuring its volume. That's all.

Last edited:
Q?

Has the W/W issue been corrected in Bru'n Water v5.3 ?
as I am getting a different result with

W/W = 100*( -684.57 + 175.12*C11 + 509.45*C11^2)/(C11*998.203)
where C11 is the SG

with SG = 1.060 Above yields 6.9441
where BnW yields 6.7

@mabrungard @ajdelange

Just wondering what value I should use in Bru n Water please

Last edited:
Sharing a
XLS CaCl2 Calculator attached (compressed in a Zip File)
with calcs included in this thread

Attachments

• CaCl2_StrenghtCalculator.zip
    41.8 KB · Views: 69
Q?

Has the W/W issue been corrected in Bru'n Water v5.3 ?
as I am getting a different result with

W/W = 100*( -684.57 + 175.12*C11 + 509.45*C11^2)/(C11*998.203)
where C11 is the SG

with SG = 1.060 Above yields 6.9441
where BnW yields 6.7

6.9441 is what that formula yields of 1.060 so if he is trying to implement that formula he is doing it wrong. Perhaps he has a different formula

The difference here is about 4%. Is that really a significant factor for our brewing concerns? I for one, find using Bru'n Water's tool much easier than playing with the chemistry in this post. It's good to know the specifics but from a practical perspective, does the added precision bring much to our brewing party?

Understand... I'm one of those guys.. :)

However, I do use Bru'n Water and appreciate it's convenience when working with calcium chloride. I just want to insure the differences it may exhibit are not a significant issue for achieving the brew I'm chasing.

Cheers...

The newest version of Bru'n Water has included a method for adding liquid Calcium Chloride among the various dry forms. Possibly this is what you are seeing?

Back