Where to get cheap swing top bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesioMedia

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just about ready to go ahead and start my first home brew. I have done a lot of reasearch and have almost everything sorted out. However, I am still deciding on bottles. I like the idea of swing tops (particulary the 32oz ones) because they are reusable and easier to deal with, not caps or capper nessary.

Unfortunatly, all of the online supply stores are selling them for an arm and a leg. I figure that I would need 20 32oz swing tops for a 5 gallon brew. Where can I get 40 swing tops for under $25.

Thanks,

I used to use the Grolsch bottles. By the way, if you're using 32oz bottles you only need 20 of them. 640 / 32 = 20 :mug:

Soulive21 said:
I used to use the Grolsch bottles. By the way, if you're using 32oz bottles you only need 20 of them. 640 / 32 = 20 :mug:

Thanks, I fixed the typo. Why do you no longer use the Grolsch bottles?

unfortunately I don't think there are any inexpensive places to get swing tops other than maybe collecting them from friends who have been drinking beer in swing top bottles

I got 80 swingtops off of craigslist for a song. I've sold some of them, but still have around 60.

You might as well buy that Grolsch beer. I like to think of it as buying bottles and getting free beer inside. If you can get a couple of them down the next few don't taste as bad as the first few. Or have friends over and give the free beer to them and call it a party.:)

abracadabra said:
You might as well buy that Grolsch beer. I like to think of it as buying bottles and getting free beer inside. If you can get a couple of them down the next few don't taste as bad as the first few.

Funny... I dont remember Grolsch being that bad though...

weasle708 said:
There are 40 grolsch bottles for sale on craigslist in the philadelphia area for $40 dollars.
:tank:

I tried contacting that guy but he never responded to my email.

Really i purchased 40 bottles and from what i understood was that he had a bunch more forsale. He also said that he had talked to a few bars in the area that sold Gorlsch beer and that they were holding the bottles for him.

more power to craigslist...
in the last few weeks I purchased:
a colonna capper for $10,
a 6.5 gallon primary and three 5 gallon secondaries for $55 total,
two 6.5 gallon primaries for $25 total,
ten cases of 12 ounce bottles for free,
sixty-three grolsch bottles for free

Back