First brew in Nine Months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
Chose a day when the winds were blowing and it was pissing down rain on me, but I finally brewed for the first time in nine months and it fanned the flame. I can't wait to do it again! In fact I got better efficiency than I have in the past...who would have thought.

It is perking right along in the garage with a little heating blanket keeping it warm although it is sitting right around 67*f currently, so not too worried.

17lbs Two Row
1.5lbs Chocolate Malt
1.5lbs Black Roasted Malt
.75lbs Black Patent
.5lbs CaraVienne (as I had it on hand, normally go with Crystal 80L)
3lbs Flaked Oats

1oz Cascade @ FWH
3oz Cascade @ 60min

Whirilifloc @ 15 min

S-04 Yeast

I have done this recipe many times and love to have it on hand as a nice and easy drinking stout that I love to offer up to the non Craft crowd. It is amazingly smooth and creamy, not too much ashtray (especially after some time) but enough to taste like a stout instead of a porter. Typically get it down to right about 1.014-1.016. Lower makes for less body and higher is too sweet.

Hah! Neither. :)

Other end of the spectrum, actually lost my brewing partner and couldn't pull together the want to brew anything. Turns out you have to do the opposite and brew because you enjoyed to not stop because it was something that you enjoyed together. Best therapy was cleaning the brew kettle in the driveway with the rain pummeling me yesterday and enjoying a Sierra Nevada Rye IPA.

I hear that...I had to lose some weight and I just brewed my first batch in 6 months a couple weeks ago...definitely therapeutic in a sense. ..love this hobby

Just checked and sitting at 1.018 and beginning D-rest to finish out the ferm to around 1.016. Trying hard to get the temp up, been a cool time in the mornings with the garage sitting close to 45-52, so the beer has been sitting mid 60's. Added a box around it and a light on with a heating blanket wrapped around it. My girlfriend is questioning my loyalty at the moment :D Might get in trouble if I move it into the house with us :rockin:

Back