getting into kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinoisbuck

Reaction score
hey guys im looking to buy the wife a new fridge so i can move the old one to the basement and turn into a kegerator. was wondering where you guys got all of your equipment from. also what do you guys recommend as an equipment list if im wanting to have two kegs on tap. thanks in advance for any replies.

a coule of websites that I would start with

amazon.com
ebay
chicompany.net

are you brewing and kegging these beers, or just buying

just buying, you need a co2 tank, a regulator with a splitter, 2 sankey taps, a tower with two faucets. You keeping your beer in the basement or gonna run lines up to the main level? I would hate to walk to the basement everytime i need a beer :(

I posted this in another thread but you can have it too!

"This is basically what I have. Make sure you measure inside the fridge to make sure things are going to fit like you think they will. I had to remove most of the shelving. I built a support shelf type thing out of wood to sit on the bottom of the fridge to distribute the weight of the kegs and secure the C02 tank. The CO2 tank loves to fall over in case you did not know which can damage the gauges.

I would compare prices at Keg Connection and Keg Cowboy. I have bought from both in the past and have been very happy. If you have questions, you can call them and they will help."

Inside my regular freezer on top fridge, I have 3 cornies with picnic taps and a 5lbs C02 tank with dual regulators. It works great for casual use but when we have parties the fridge runs alot because the door is alway open. SWMBO forbids me to have a kegerator which is why there are no taps on the outside. (I know, don't tell her please)

i will be filling them with homebrew. have a cream stout and a pumpkin ale fermenting now, and i am tired of bottling, starting to feel like "work"

I got my kegging stuff from another homebrewer. My 3 keg system cost me $215 in the end. For a two keg system you will want:

5lb, 10lb, or 20lb CO2 tank (5lb should last 6-8 kegs, so you decide)
single or dual gauge regulator (I have a single, dual will give you line and tank pressure vs. Just line pressure)
splitter (get a three or four way and just leave two closed)
2x 5' gas lines (can get more later)
2x gas in couplers (ball or pin lock, depends on keg type on kegs)
2x corney kegs (I suggest ball lock because they have manual pressure release valves)
2x liquid out couplers (ball or pin, depends on keg type)
2x 7' liquid lines (use thick walled liquid line, 7' is just a suggested length many use 5')
2x shank/tap/faucet combo or picnic taps (perlick 525 SS or 575 SS are preferred, length of shank depends on fridge wall thickness, I use picnic taps soni have to open the door to get beer)
drip tray (if you do through the door faucets)
star-San or idofur sanitizer (do not use bleach or C-brite on kegs!)
misc length small brushes (for getting inside your dip tubes and faucets, look at one of the sellers mentioned to get the info)

I suggest all your connectors be "screw type" as apposed to barb type so you can swap things quickly.

you can either order all the parts online, or get them of other members on HBT or get them from craigslist or your LHBS.

I got the majority of my stuff from a member on HBT, some additional lines and couplers from my LHBS, and two additional kegs off craigslist.

To clarify - my three keg setup cost was
$150 (HBT member) everything for two keg setup 1 picnic 1 shank/faucet, expandable to three kegs
$35 (LHBS) for two picnic lines, extra set of in/out couplers
$30 (CL) third keg
=$215
I'm hopefully picking up another keg this weekend for $30, so I have a spare, that's why it isn't included in my overall cost yet.

All of my kegs are ball lock with pressure release.

Hope that all helps.

Edit: the reason I suggested to get the 3/4 way splitter is that eventually you will probably want more on tap, you may one across a great deal on some kegs or something in the future, and the cost difference isn't that much.

Latest posts

Back