Irish Red using Wyeast 1007 German Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanRIowa

Reaction score
I just finished a German Altbier using Wyeast 1007 and I saved some yeast with racking it to my secondary. I though I might do a Irish Red Ale next and instead of using the dry Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast maybe use my saved Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast.

Any thoughts?

Any flavor profile differences?

thanks,
Dean

I have been thinking about exactly the same thing. I started to get the idea when I heard that Killians is an alt....don't know if it is true but it got me thinking. I have been trying to brew a red for my dad who seem to like them a great deal. When I try to get him to tell me what he likes about the reds he ends up describing what sounds like an alt to me.

Same thing I was thinking as I thought I could use the German Ale yeast for the Irish Red and then Lager it in the secondary, thus giving me something like a Killians Red with a bit more flavor.

Dean

Did some more surfin and learned that Killians is in fact an Amber Lager made by Coors. It uses "special dark roasted malt" to achieve the red color. There is some talk that Coors has started to artificially color it but they deny that. It gets even more crazy when I learn during my search that Alaskan Amber is in fact an Alt???? So I am back to making a "Red" with Alt yeast and may in fact throw in a little melanoiden malt for super malt kick up. I will still use classic Red type hops (EKG and Fuggle to bitter only) maybe and will not lager....for sure not with an Alt Yeast...will also use some ummalted roast barley for color.

I ended up making my Irish Red Ale with the Wyeast 1007 German Ale last night. I made a small yeast starer and it took off with great fermentation within 8 hours.

I was actually hoping to to make something that looks like Killians with a bit more flavor, so I hope I am on the right track.

I will followup later with my results.

thanks again everyone,

Dean

Latest posts

Back