IC to HERMS coil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Now that I have my plate chiller, my old copper IC is just sitting there.

Has anybody used one to make a HERMS coil? I would imagine so, it's a natural.

A couple of weldless connectors and a couple more camlocks, and it will be in business.

:rockin:

im using an IC as a herms coil - AND an IC. I like that i can take it in and out of the keggle. Works well for now until i get the elements in and everything hard plumbed into the keggles.

Now that I have my plate chiller, my old copper IC is just sitting there.

Has anybody used one to make a HERMS coil? I would imagine so, it's a natural.

A couple of weldless connectors and a couple more camlocks, and it will be in business.

:rockin:

Here is what my copper herms coil looks like...

DSC01457.JPG

Compression fittings going to weldless bulkheads.

One thing I'd add is that if you are going to hard mount/plumb it, having gravity on your side is nice. As you can see mine self drains. Makes it a lot easier to clean up. To get the last bits of water out I then put my brewing dedicated shop vac on one end for a few minutes.

Yup, you can do it pretty easily. I just made one out of my old 25' IC chiller because I had an extra thermocouple and 1500w HD element lying around and wanted to try a herms setup. I got a cheap 3 gal stockpot here:

http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb/Product.bos?itemNumber=11954

Added a T and a compression fitting from Home Depot, some reflectix for insulation and I was in business. I already had my PID setup from my CB20 system, so it was an easy transition. I get close to 1 degree rise per minute with this setup doing step mashes. The coil fits very tightly into the 3 gallon pot.

I actually use the IC chiller now to chill as well instead of my plate chiller and whirlpool ala Jamil. I got tired of using bags for my hops and still getting my plate chiller stuck with trub.

I use the copper coil in my system as an IC and a HERMS coil. It stays in my kettle for the entire brew, I just switch which hoses are connected to it. So, yeah, you can convert an IC into a HERMS coil.

Imagine the audacity of people calling these immersion "chillers," when we all know they're really HEAT EXCHANGERS, and they can work well both ways... they're a lot like tracer fire in that sense!! ;)

My IC is made of 3/8" copper. It that too narrow for a HERMS coil?

I bet it will be fine, just lower flow rate. There will probably be some 3/8" vs. 1/2" arguement, but that should not be added here, it has be done elsewhere...

I just cut my IC to make a HERMs coil. Haven't started building it yet, but I plan on doing as other have with the compression fittings. Mine is also 1/2" and 25', but I don't think that it will matter for our usage.

My IC-Herms coil is 3/8 and it works well for my 5 gal batch purposes. I actually use 3/8 hose all around now and by chance it runs at 1 gal per minute during recirculation wide open on my march pump with the length of hoses and rise that I have in my system. I have found 1 gal/min is just about perfect for a HERMS recirculation. I get about 1 degree per minute rise for steps and mashout.

Latest posts

Back