Only one base malt left in the world.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
American 2-row. It is the most flexible base malt, IMO. Plus, I am an IPA and pale ale lover.

Pilsner malt all the way. I could always start with this and then use it to make other malts as well. A little toasting here, add some water and a little cooking there. Lots of potential

Maris Otter. I'd sure miss 2-row and Vienna, but if I could make a good bitter, I could happily drink to the memories of the other base malts.

2-row. Kiln it a bit in the oven to come up with something more like maris otter (or even more for vienna or munich), or use it as is for paler beers.

You can make a decent english beer with 2-row, and a decent pilsner. But you cannot make a decent pilsner with maris otter, or a decent english beer with pils malt. Therefore, 2-row is more flexible.

Then again, I might be willing to sacrifice some entire styles altogether so that I can focus on specific styles that I like. So, I change my answer to Maris Otter

Pilsner malt all the way. I could always start with this and then use it to make other malts as well. A little toasting here, add some water and a little cooking there. Lots of potential
+2. I make more lagers and belgians than anything else anyway. And since we can choose I'll say Bohemian Pils malt.

+2. I make more lagers and belgians than anything else anyway. And since we can choose I'll say Bohemian Pils malt.
+3
I don't know if I could live without Pilsner malt. You can always go darker by toasting it a bit. Its a lot harder to lighten a malt. Unless you count adding adjuncts.

Although I do love MO...

Back