• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Kettle for 6+ gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moxie

Reaction score
I'm interested in your old kettle with thermometer and ball valve. SS is preferable, but would also consider an aluminum pot. If you have an immersion chiller to fit that would be even better. I am located in Nova Scotia, so send me a message or reply to this thread if you are willing to ship. I'll drive almost anywhere in N.S. for pickup, but I have not noticed many people posting from the Maritimes!

Cheers

You may be better off just getting a keg-shell (SS), and either find someone who can blow-torch the top off of it (or you can do that yourself if you have the means). Then you can fit it with a ball-valve of your choice and thermometer...cheap and and great for big batches. If you look at pics on here you'll see many people boiling with such contraptions.

Hello, thanks for the reply. I do plan on moving on to a gas burner, but at the moment, I am (slowly) brewing on my electric stovetop. Would a keggle be practical for this use? I've never really examined the bottom of a commercial keg. If I can squeeze a batch or two out on the stovetop with one I would be interested in an old keggle as well, so maybe if you've upgraded your system to some Blichmann Bling and have an old pot/keggle with thermometer and ball valve, I would love to take it off your hands! :mug:

I would definitely not recommend putting a keggle on an electric stovetop for a number of reasons. First, a keggle empty weighs 30 lbs. Add 6 gals of wort and you're looking at about 80 lbs on your stovetop. In addition, a 2' tall keg on a 3' tall stovetop wouldn't be the easiest thing to work with, and potentially very unsafe. If you want to go the keggle route, at the very least look on CL for a turkey fryer. If you just want to boil 6 gallons, maybe check for a 10 gal megapot - those are pretty squat pots and aren't outrageously priced.

I would definitely not recommend putting a keggle on an electric stovetop for a number of reasons. First, a keggle empty weighs 30 lbs. Add 6 gals of wort and you're looking at about 80 lbs on your stovetop. In addition, a 2' tall keg on a 3' tall stovetop wouldn't be the easiest thing to work with, and potentially very unsafe. If you want to go the keggle route, at the very least look on CL for a turkey fryer. If you just want to boil 6 gallons, maybe check for a 10 gal megapot - those are pretty squat pots and aren't outrageously priced.

Yeah, the megapots are pretty ideal for height, I am building a fully gravity fed system, so I can probably stack 'em 3 high without using a ladder. On the other hand, if I can find a keggle then it would be enough incentive to go grab a burner and start brewing outside. Ideally I would like to do a 7.5 gal boil... I suppose a keggle could give me enough beer to fill two cornys, that would be nice!

Back