Couple questions after first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliams108

Reaction score
Ok, so I finished my HERMS ( https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-new-herms-179895/ ) on Tuesday and did my wet testing (i.e. brewed a 10 gal batch) on Wednesday. Everything went pretty well, I hit my OG, didn't have any epic failures and other than it taking 6 hours I felt pretty good about it. I did have a few questions coming out of the brewday though.

1. After doing alot of reading the way I went about it was to fill the HLT and get the PID heating the water to 165. Then I added my strike water to the MT and started recirc'ing that through the HERMS coil to get it to the proper temp, once there I doughed in. Is this what most HERMS brewers do?

2. After 1 hr recirc'ing at temp I transfered the initial strike water to the BK at the same time I raised the HLT temp to 170. Once it got to 170 I transfered that to the MT and let it rest for 10 min. Once again is this standard or do most just raise the HLT to 170 while still pumping the initial strike water?

3. I noticed that I had a bit of grist in my BK which I found odd since I had recirc'd for an hour and had in my mind for some reason that would be more than sufficient to set the grain bed and "filter" all of that out. Is this normal or did I screw something up?

Don't take this as me freaking out I know it will make beer and it will be consumed. I just like to have a good handle on my procedure and understand why things are happening and what I can do to correct/tighten up the process. Thanks in advance.

My question would be your filter media? Is it stainless braid, false bottom..........etc. However, the chunks will settle out so why even worry about it?

I'm using the cheap false bottom from Midwest. Not really worried about it just figured the grain bed would take care of it. O and didn't know if I had done something wrong.

Back