Float any kegs lately?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
As I was drawing a growler full of Bent Rod Rye for the potluck, it blew! I think this is the fastest I've gone through a keg (at least by myself). Eight hops in a 3.8 ABV ale made for easy drinking.

Dang! That makes four batches I need to brew.

The only thing I don't like about kegging is you don't know how much is left until they're gone. My kegerater is under the bar so I have to pull it out to check my kegs. If I ever build a new bar I'll hinge the top.

alemonkey said:
The only thing I don't like about kegging is you don't know how much is left until they're gone. My kegerater is under the bar so I have to pull it out to check my kegs. If I ever build a new bar I'll hinge the top.
I kinda have a feel for how long my kegs last. But to back my "feeling" up with fact, I have keg strips from Micromatic.

EDIT: 2 seconds after I wrote this, I realized that keg strips won't really help you since your kegs are fairly inaccessible.

Dang, first my Hefe last night and now my Apfelwein tonight.

Well, I have one on deck ready to go, plus I'll just rack 5 gallons that's ready into the empty keg after a hot rinse and a little Star San.

Trying to float the chocolate oatmeal stout... a little disappointed in this one.

I hear you, Nate. I think one enters a new level as a homebrewer the first time you say, "This didn't work and no amount of aging will help.", then dump the rest of the batch. Next year's ciders will be small, varied batches.

I think I have a pint or two left this morning. The honey nut brown I did was a huge success with everyone. Good eats and good drinks yesterday!

I floated both of my kegs within ten minutes of each other the other night during the Marquette/Duke game. How distressing! It's all good, though- got two fresh ones carbing as I type:D

I have the opposite problem,
i have a keg of kolsch that won't kick. It seems like I've been drinking it for a year. I need the keg for my next batch:drunk:

2nd Street Brewery said:
I have the opposite problem,
i have a keg of kolsch that won't kick. It seems like I've been drinking it for a year. I need the keg for my next batch:drunk:

LOL you need more kegs, dude. I have seven, now my goal is to keep some beer in reserve for just such an emergency:D

2nd Street Brewery - So, bottle what's left & stash it. In six months, you might be looking for a Kolsh.

david_42 said:
I hear you, Nate. I think one enters a new level as a homebrewer the first time you say, "This didn't work and no amount of aging will help.", then dump the rest of the batch. Next year's ciders will be small, varied batches.

Yeah, it's not bad but it's just hard to drink much of it at one sitting... sweet and heavy. I imagine the cider is probably the same way. It's fun to experiment but sometimes it's just best to stick with what you know.

Latest posts

Back