Oak-aged Pecan Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saccharomyces

Be good to your yeast...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This recipe is inspired by a local micro, (512) Pecan Porter. My plan is to brew this up to age in the blue corn whiskey barrels that currently hold imperial stout and irish red ale.

10.5 gallons, 85% Brewhouse Efficiency:

Mash:
79% Maris Otter (18.75#)
8% Crystal 40 (2#)
5% Chocolate Malt, UK (1.25#)
5% Black Malt (1.25#)
3% Flaked Oats, toasted (.75#, toasted 300*F for 15 min)
1# Roasted, Unsalted Pecans, crushed

Hops:
2oz Horizon, 60
1oz Willamette, 15

Mash 152*F. OG 1.068. 40 IBU. Wyeast 1028 London Ale, 66*F, secondary in oak barrels.

I seem to recall a discussion on using actual nuts in beers and the consensus was if you were going to use them, do so in the mash, as Sacc appears to want to do...I can't find that discussion though :(

How long do you think you'll age this in the barrels? I'm sure it is best to taste regularly to check for flavor, but I wonder if there is a range. I am getting one of those barrels (thanks again) and have the Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter in primary to put in it. I have not had an oak aged porter before and am not sure how strong of a taste to look for.

This recipe is inspired by a local micro, (512) Pecan Porter. My plan is to brew this up to age in the blue corn whiskey barrels that currently hold imperial stout and irish red ale.

10.5 gallons, 85% Brewhouse Efficiency:

Mash:
79% Maris Otter (18.75#)
8% Crystal 40 (2#)
5% Chocolate Malt, UK (1.25#)
5% Black Malt (1.25#)

Hops:
2oz Horizon, 60
1oz Willamette, 15

Mash 152*F. OG 1.068. 40 IBU. Wyeast 1028 London Ale, 66*F, secondary in oak barrels.

Sacc,
Did you get a recipe from Kevin?

I am a huge fan of Pecan Porter.

Eric

How long do you think you'll age this in the barrels? I'm sure it is best to taste regularly to check for flavor, but I wonder if there is a range. I am getting one of those barrels (thanks again) and have the Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter in primary to put in it. I have not had an oak aged porter before and am not sure how strong of a taste to look for.

Imperial Stout has been in there three weeks and is ready to come out. Irish Red is taking longer since it's lower in alcohol, I will probably keg it next week. Since the barrels will be more used with this batch I'm anticipating a month, but I will start checking every week at two weeks.

Sacc,
Did you get a recipe from Kevin?

His recipe doesn't use oats and he uses domestic 2-row, plus his house yeast and hops are different than what I'm using, but otherwise this is more-or-less a replica of his beer.

I don't remember the exact weight of pecans but I think it was about 24# per batch, I'm over that percentagewise but I don't expect to get as much utilization from the pecans in my smaller mash.

The head retention with the nuts in there is probably lower but head be damned. Once you taste this beer, you will not care if it is foamy. :D

I don't usually care about head on stouts and porters like this. If it's got lots of ingredients like chocolate and bourbon and pecans, etc... I'm more in it for the flavor orgasm in my mouth.

What temp and how long do you roast the pecans? I would think they would be an item that could burn fast...that part could be tricky.

Eric

this is an old thread but i know saccharomyces is still trolling around somewhere on these boards. are the flaked oats really toasted, or did you mean to put the "toasted 300*F" for the pecans?

this is an old thread but i know saccharomyces is still trolling around somewhere on these boards. are the flaked oats really toasted, or did you mean to put the "toasted 300*F" for the pecans?

Nope toasted the flaked oats. The pecans if you roast them yourself, you will want to go low and slow, probably 275*F and watch them like a newborn. They will burn quickly.

I'm amazed there is still any of this left. I have some still pouring on a nitro faucet, it's yummy.

I have some still pouring on a nitro faucet, it's yummy.

I believe you!! This will be my next brew, I have waited long enough. Can you tell me anything else about it, like is there anything you'd do differently? I don't have barrels yet so I'll be soaking wood chips in whiskey or possibly using the pre-soaked jack daniels bbq chips. I really want this to turn out well so let me know if you have any sage advice!

Cheers!

Also, how did the pecan taste shine through? Bold or barely there? And you didn't roast the pecans, just the oats?

I believe you!! This will be my next brew, I have waited long enough. Can you tell me anything else about it, like is there anything you'd do differently? I don't have barrels yet so I'll be soaking wood chips in whiskey or possibly using the pre-soaked jack daniels bbq chips. I really want this to turn out well so let me know if you have any sage advice!

Cheers!

Duff-
How did this turn out for you? I don't have barrels (don't know where to get smaller ones) so I will be using cubes/chips soaked in whiskey. Can you tell me your process for the oak in the glass carboy, I assume secondary.

Thanks! E

Back