Regulator Set-up for Soda and beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjack

Reaction score
I'm trying to set my bar up to dispense both soda water and beer. Soda from one tap and beer from two. I have the kegs and more then enough regulators, but I've been having some trouble putting the whole mess together when I go to the hardware store.
Has anyone done this? I'd really like to see some photos, I'm having a ***** of a time with this and trial and error is getting kinda pricey.
Thanks
Jack

I'm trying to set my bar up to dispense both soda water and beer. Soda from one tap and beer from two. I have the kegs and more then enough regulators, but I've been having some trouble putting the whole mess together when I go to the hardware store.
Has anyone done this? I'd really like to see some photos, I'm having a ***** of a time with this and trial and error is getting kinda pricey.
Thanks
Jack

I don't have a photo. but I can sort of describe what I do.

First, soda should be at around 30 psi. Because of the high psi (it's more highly carbonated than beer), you'll need really long line for soda. I'm not sure about soda water- I believe David_42 has spoken about soda water. I'm assuming it's like soda pop in the way it would dispense.

So, for soda, I use one regulator at 35 psi and 25 feet of 3/16" line. I bought the line from McMaster-Carr for about $.15/foot. The beer is set at 11 psi, with 10 feet of line. My kegerator is at 39 degrees. Here's a carbonation chart to give you an idea for the beer- soda is carbonated at a much higher volume. I'd start with 5 volumes, and see if that still seemed "flat". Force Carbonation & Carb Table

Do you have multiple primary regulators or one primary and some secondary ones? This has a primary and two secondaries. The primary is at at 35 psi. It feed the secondaries and the red shutoff valve feeds the soda keg.

2113-img_0787.jpg

Why would i need longer tubing? I wouldn't think that would make any difference. What am I missing?
David 42: the I have two regulators, both primary. My plan is to set the first one to 35 psi for soda, split of that one, one tube going to my soda keg and the other going to the other regulator which I'll set for beer pressures, after that regulator I'll split again to run both my beer kegs. Any one see any problems? (your design looks so much more elegant than mine it's making my think I'm missing something important)

This is what I have set up. 2 regs on my cylinder with 2 lines going into my fridge One gets split to 3 beer kegs at about 12 psi with 10' of bev. line and the other for my sparkling crab apple wine set at 18 psi with 21' of line. Having a short hose will just spray the beer or whatever you are dispensing causing excess foam. My set up came with 3' hoses and until I read up on this site when I first started kegging I was always wondering why I had a 3/4 glass of foam and some beer at the bottom! Thanks guys!
Picture003-2.jpg

Why would i need longer tubing? I wouldn't think that would make any difference. What am I missing?

You have your beer/soda lines "balanced". If not, your beverages will either be over or under carbed.

You have to take into account the temperature of your liquid, the desired level of carbonation, the length/diameter of your hose, and he height of your taps above the center of your kegs.

I can't remember where I found the info. But, I'm sure with some searching you can easily find it.

Back