Anise Spice Substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrMaddVibe

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing this and can't find anise spice at my LHBS or local grocery chains.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/trois-pistoles-clone-26717/

I've found Anise Stars and Anise Seeds, but are these acceptable replacements? If so, should I try a mortar/pestle to get the amount or try to gauge them in their current state to equal the amounts?

I'd like to get this one really close to the recipe as this is a beer that I've really enjoyed in the past.

Time isn't my enemy as I'm thinking I'd like to have this for Christmas.

:mug:

The seed is the spice, and I found it ground coarse in the dollar isle of my local grocery store.

In my youth there was a cheap cardboard pizza that had sausage that was filled filled anise seed, and to simulate that flavor I bought a bottle of it for a buck, and dump some on once in a while.

Grind the seeds, you're done. That's the ideal solution.

Anise gives a licorice-y flavor, so you could sub fennel or something like that. Star anise would work, too, but it's much more expensive.

Back