help a new grower get started !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
just got my hop rhizome in the mail today...probably not the best purchase as its just came in a ziploc bag with a wet paper towel around it. gonna do the best i can with what i got !

what do i do with this thing ?

Plant it...

:D

Put it either in the ground or a big pot (12'' dia. or bigger) with the rhizome horizontal. If there are nodes or sprouts on it they need to be facing up.

Use a good poting soil and if you put it in the ground, you want soil that drains well. If you have very clayey soil, mix in some sand and some compost, mulch or potting soil. Give it more space than you think you need. If it's in the ground, I'd prep an area about 3' in daimeter about a foot deep. Plant it a couple inches below the surface, ground or pot.

it was shipped to me from california...got it on ebay. its cascade.

i am wondering if i should grow it indoors until next season......

I just bought four Nugget rhizomes from Freshops last week. I put them out two days ago in some large pots filled with a topsoil/compost/peat mix with a little Miracle Grow sprinkled in. I put them about an inch under the surface, most vertical, and one horizontal just as an experiment. I too thought about keeping them inside, but decided to put them out in the back yard. We'll see what happens.

I know, I should have done this a couple of months ago, but it just wasn't the time. The price I paid for hops at my LHBS was steep enough that I didn't want to waste a year on getting the bines started. As is, the three rhizomes cost less (at $4 each) than 4 ounces of hop pellets.

I actually bought three rhizomes, and Freshops sent me four! Delivery was quick. I plan to get other varieties next year, but Nugget was all they had left. I'll order from them again!

what should a fresh rhizome look like ? mine does not seem fresh. it has brown ends and some brown patches on the "stalk".

what should a fresh rhizome look like ? mine does not seem fresh. it has brown ends and some brown patches on the "stalk".

There is no "stalk" on a rhizome, it's just a hunk of root from a mature plant. It should be brown, it should look ugly, and if you put in under some dirt it will one day make you some beer:mug:.

sure i understand that but if this was cut from a living plant it was quite a long time ago. the ends dont just look brown but rotten and mushy as well as another spot on the "root" that looks like it was a break and is also rotten. i know its late in the season but i feel as if i should complain....dont want to if that is normal....

yeasty,
I too would like to get a start on hop growing (even if its late in the season). But I couldn't find any hope rhizomes for sale in either the sites listed or ebay. Do you have seller info on the guy who sold them to you?

alcibiades,

It is late to plant, but one of the rhizomes I planted on Sunday an inch under topsoil has a shoot with several small leaves above the soil. I don't expect anything from this year, but hope to get a head start on next year with this late planting. Freshops sure treated me well with these Nuggets.

You might also try this guy if you want Hallertauer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Hop-Roots-Hallertau-Rhizome-Beer-hops-home-brew_W0QQitemZ110406379495QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b4bba7e7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Back