Decomposing rubber on Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
Been getting real tired of black hands from the rubber handles and feet of my kegs. Not sure if anyone else has done this but a cheap brush, some paint thinner and a can of plasti dip has solved this rubber rub off problem for now!!

Use plasti dip outside as it stinks.

Good idea, I HATE rubber-top cornies for that very reason. Now I only buy single-handle kegs, just to avoid the rotting rubber.

Did you have to thin the plasti-dip first? Any pre-treatment for the rubber? I'd think a quick wipedown in naptha or thinner might help it adhere.

Good idea, I HATE rubber-top cornies for that very reason. Now I only buy single-handle kegs, just to avoid the rotting rubber.

Did you have to thin the plasti-dip first? Any pre-treatment for the rubber? I'd think a quick wipedown in naptha or thinner might help it adhere.

I stole some citrus infused paint thinner from my wife's art supplies and wiped down the rubber. Then added 10% or so to the total volume of the Plasti Dip and slathered it on. I am not much of a painter and it does not look perfect, but I can manhandle that keg and come away with clean fingers - that was my goal and I scored!

Back