Calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Here I am looking through some recipes and I noticed that most people don't post the color or bitterness calculation used. It seems like the standard is Morey for color and Tinseth for bitterness. I ran some of my recipes through my software changing the calculation method and it can be quite a bit different. For example my IPA goes from 70ibu - tinseth to 77ibu - Ranger.

And color on my stout: 47SRM - Morey and 39SRM for Ray Daniels formula.

These are arguably considerably different colors and bitterness'.

What does everyone use, and which is most accurate in what situation?

I think it is most important to just be consistant. Thery are just guesses anyway.

I always use Rager for my IBU calculations. If get a recipe that is done in Tinseth, that is fine, I enter it into my software, and calculate the IBUs from the Rager formula. That is how many IBUs are "in my beer."

So the next time I go to brew, if want about the same bitterness, I shoot for the same IBUs as that recipe, or adjust from there.

I guess most homebrewers use Tinseth, but I guess Rager is what my software defaulted to. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/tinseth-rager-garetz-ibu-calculations-40296/

Back