Im getting fat. lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacebrew

Reaction score
Ok. Long story short. I got an ulcer, i lost 25#'s~.

Ulcer went away, i gained back 30#. I think my homebrew consumption is the obvious culprit.

so how do the people in this board battle the bulge?:cross:

hahaha, dude, this is getting ridiculous. Gunna have to start calorie counting again and lose ~15#.

Swim an hour a day three days a week. Or you could completely un-automate your brewer and do all the heavy lifting by hand.

I found that I was gaining excess weight from drinking too much of my beer. I have a kegerator in my living room and drinking two to four pints a night. So I started drinking my beers out of sampler glasses instead of full pints. Now when I go to the kegerator four or five times in the night, I only have one full beer.

I'm trying to lose some weight but I'm not too motivated so I'm cutting out all sodas and cutting beer out except for weekends and social gatherings. Only been doing it for a week so we'll see how it works out.

I got a recumbent bike, and rode it for about a week, everyday for 1/2 hour. Then life started to get busy again. Literally haven't rode for a week. Was going to do it last night after mowing, but my legs were caked in grass after running the trimmer for an hour. After my shower, I couldn't see the point of getting all sweaty again. Anyway, it was abotu bedtime and the AC in the bedroom was calling my name...

menow.jpg

I lost 105# by stopping all alcohol and soda intake, drinking 150+ oz of water a day, and doing nutrisystem. i still do nutrisystem, rarely drink, and drink a lot of water.

moderation. moderation. moderation. is hard :)

Congrats ctufano, you look great. Since I started brewing (which in turn = drinking more) I've started to pack on a few pounds. I don't need to lose much, maybe only 10-15 pounds, but I started biking more. I signed up for a bike race at the end of the summer to give me some motivation to keep after it.

Pretty simple but not necessarily easy. Here's what works for me.

To lose weight:

Calories IN < Calories OUT
and
Beer = food

All the beer I drink replaces food I would have eaten. When I eat dinner I intentionally save room for the beer to be consumed later, helps prevent over-eating.

Weigh yourself frequently, at least twice a week. Once you hit a certain number (180 lb for me); do NOT ever let your weight exceed that number, ever. If/when I get to 178-179 something must change immediately to ensure not exceeding the predetermined number. DO NOT exceed the number.

Congrats ctufano, you look great. Since I started brewing (which in turn = drinking more) I've started to pack on a few pounds. I don't need to lose much, maybe only 10-15 pounds, but I started biking more. I signed up for a bike race at the end of the summer to give me some motivation to keep after it.

Nice! I should have also included that I was training for a century bike race (100 mile). It caused me to plateau for around 3 months without noticing somehow, due to last year in school and biking so much. I had to up my calories.

So ya, remember if you start cranking out miles (I was doing 15 miles every M, T, W, Th and then 60+ on Sundays) you will need to increase your calories, maybe :)

I drink and eat pretty much whatever I want. Now this isn't saying that I hammer food all day or eat junk food. I usually eat very sensibly but I eat what I want and drink what I want within reason. I rarely exceed 2500-3000 calories a day (usually less) and often my workout burns in excess of 700 calories plus. I workout pretty much everyday though. I play soccer a couple times a week, usually 2-3 hrs. I also work out at 5am M,T,W,F. Mixed stuff, cardio/weights etc. Very high intensity. I also bike a lot of places. My wife and I ride our bikes from our house to our favorite beer bar at least once a week when it is nice out. I never have gained a pound from my beer consumption. If I am not active I will gain weight due to the simple concept of not burning enough calories to account for my intake. This however doesn't happen. I've weighed the same for many many years now. I also guess if I didn't work out so much I would drink more since I wouldn't have to have a clear mind at 5AM. LOL

+1 SpanishCastleAle
I wanted to drink more of my tasty beer so I had to cut out food as I have no extra time to workout with three little ones. Before I'd eat out almost everyday for lunch and snack on chips all day. Now I have a yogurt and homemade sandwich. Even though I'm drinking way more beer I can honestly say I feel much better and have lost a little weight.

+1 SpanishCastleAle
I wanted to drink more of my tasty beer so I had to cut out food as I have no extra time to workout with three little ones. Before I'd eat out almost everyday for lunch and snack on chips all day. Now I have a yogurt and homemade sandwich. Even though I'm drinking way more beer I can honestly say I feel much better and have lost a little weight.
When I did gain weight it was often from poor habits at work; visiting the vending machine, eating a big breakfast AND a big lunch, etc. Coming up with a daily work routine/menu and not deviating much (I still have a donut when someone brings them in, the good ones anyway) made a big difference.

Also, knowing what your body likes and can tolerate vs. those that it doesn't helps. The book Eat Right For Your Type helped there, 'type' meaning 'blood type'. Eating foods your body likes makes it much easier for your body to maintain an ideal weight. For me, a type O, that meant way less carbs and not too much dairy either. Meat is OK (thank goodness) but strangely, wheat is something my body does not like.

menow.jpg

I lost 105# by stopping all alcohol and soda intake, drinking 150+ oz of water a day, and doing nutrisystem. i still do nutrisystem, rarely drink, and drink a lot of water.

Wonderful dude, I wish I had the willpower. The homebrewing has not helped. I look like you used to.

I usually hang around a certain weight. I drink a lot of water and try to eat right. When I want to lose weight I just quit drinking for a week or two. I literally drop a pound a day when I'm not drinking beer.

I lost 65 lbs. since December.

In the Army we said, "The important things are always simple, and the simple things are always hard." Losing weight is really as simple as this: calories out > calories in. I have a couple more rules to clarify some minor points:

1) Your body tends to "homeostasis", i.e., status quo. You must vary your calories +/- 10% minimum to gain/lose weight.
2) You can't exercise all the way to skinny town. Most of your calories are burned just breathing, thinking, and making big molecules out of small ones... exercise alone will *not* work.
3) Lose fast at the start, but then slow down the rate of weight loss. This is so you can get motivated by your progress, but if weight comes off too fast (like it did with OP's ulcer) then it will come right back later -- and it will bring a few friends.

Any weight loss program that allows healthy eating WILL work for someone who is 1) sufficiently motivated, and 2) not suffering from a hormonal condition.

As a metabolic research student (PhD) and someone who lost the equivalent weight of a couple of children... I think I've learned a thing or two about it!

Losing it is easy, keeping it off is the hard part. I like the other poster's idea of having a "line-in-the-sand" weight that you must never, ever cross under pain of death! Ok, not death, but, seriously, don't frickin' cross it, or else!!

Remember those annoying word-things for the SAT, where this is to that as the other is to some other thing? Scales are to weight what hydrometers are to brewing... it's essentially not an option if you want to make progress.

I used to work carpentry during the summer and drink as much as I wanted, and never gained a pound. Then I graduated, started my masters working in a lab, began drinking homebrew and gained about 40 pounds. Hahaha, im lucky it doesnt show because I have been tall and skinny my whole life.

I wouldn't mind losing some of the weigh because having a paunch at 24 sucks, but theres no way I'm giving up homebrew!

I do weight training 3 days a week and various things such as hill sprints, tire flips, sled drags and sledge hammer tire hits the other 2 days. I only drink water and protein shakes and maybe a beer or two a night during the week. As far as weekends go I eat like hell and drink probably to much. This seems to work for me.

well since i usually stop drinking when i got a buzz i found that it took 4 beers of 5% ABV beer to get there probably around 1600 Calories and i was 240 at the time so i just started riding my motorcycle everyday and doing a 2 mile run in the morning and take 2 shots of vodka when ever i feel like drinking instead of drinking beer and i brewed Barley wine and a Belgian Triple during that time cause i figured i would take a 6 months for me to get to 200LBs and they would be Extremely well aged after 6 months after the 6 months i drank my first beer at 195Lbs! and it was amazing tasted so good and i stopped drinking Poppov vodka

I would Occasionally take a couple shots of Vodka before Running Cause its HELL trying to start :drunk:

I wouldn't recommend going to hard liquor but i wont say i didn't lose the weight

Beer has nutritional value and should be factored in to the whole 2,000 calorie a day situation (which varies depending on physical activity).

Drinking calories is always a hassle because we're not used to satisfying hunger with a beverage, but one could easilly substitute an extra slice of pizza for 2 or 3 glasses of beer.

Beer is indeed a "meal in a can". (Light beer, a snack)

+1 on moderation as well as excercise. I try to walk 3 miles one day, then jog 3 miles the next day with my dogs, I also alternate from a beer to an iced tea or water, this fills me up without getting too buzzed and also keeps the calories within reason. Been doing this since starting homebrewing without a pound gained.

fornication is a great workout and you can do it while your drunk. :drunk:

LOL! When I was at my heaviest, my doctor told me the same thing! He said I needed more exercise and if the SWMBO was on board, sex was a great workout. I said "great, can you write me a note?" Needless to say, he did not...

Ive lost 30lb in the past few months by starting to run. At first, it was next to impossible to run a full mile without feeling like dying. Now I am able to do regular 4+ mile runs without stopping. I just did a 12.5 mile race here in town, running the whole way at a 10min pace.

Ive also cut back on drinking beer. I havent had a homebrew in months... :(. Completely cut out soda, and try to avoid fast food. I was at 245~ and now i am at 213. Love it.

The biggest piece of advice I remember hearing years ago is that those diets you see on TV are for lazy people. They don't work because people aren't willing to put fortha any effort to make a lifestyle CHANGE. you don't ever hit a point where you are "done" with being healthy and physically fit. Lifestyle changes are the whole goal of a fitness program. Go for a mind clensing run three times a week and ensure that you are at are below your resting metabolic intake for the day. (This is helped by avoiding hugely caloric fast foods that offer little nutrition)

I am really happy with my changes.... but I still try to go out for a few drinks on the weekends :D

I think moderation is the key.

I'm fighting the battle of the bulge caused by tech job / too much World of Warcraft / love of fattening beer and good cheese with 1 hour of power yoga 2x a week, using the elliptical or taking a cardio dance class 2 or 3x a week.. cycling to work when I can, etc. full combat gardening (hauling bags of mulch, digging and weeding by hand). In other words, trying to fit some kind of activity into my life every day.

That, and eating like a sane person i.e. keeping junk food / sugary stuff out of the house,etc. and trying to think of food in a more European way - small quantities of freshly prepared, good quality food coupled with an active life.

I'm down 10 lbs. since February, but I've got another 20 or so to lose before I'm happy.

The formula for losing weight is easy. If you're not a fat and lazy bastard, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm in the process of losing weight right now and so far I've lost 30 pounds by simply eating better foods. I started working out 3 times a week a couple months ago and now I work out 5 times a week. The working out is stupid hard at first but after it becomes part of your routine, it's hard to imagine life without it. I fall asleep faster and without the aid of TV now, sleep deeper, have more energy during the day, and just generally feel A LOT better all due to working out. It helps with everything, even regulating blood sugar which does a lot to curb excessive food cravings.

Don't drink soda. In fact, don't drink any calories except for beer or (of course) the occasional mixed cocktail. When you drink beer make sure it's part of your daily food intake, don't write it off as a thirst quenching beverage.

Finally, if you're know you're going to go out and get drunk, bust your ass working out and running first. A solid 30 minute will not only burn a good 500 calories, but will boost your metabolism for the rest of the night so you're burning as you consume. :rockin:

I run 25 to 50 miles a week, and keep myself motivated to train by signing up for and running about 5 half marathons or 25K's a year, and several 5k/5m races.

Get good exercise, and eat/drink what you want! (within reason ;) )

Don't drink soda. In fact, don't drink any calories except for beer or (of course) the occasional mixed cocktail. When you drink beer make sure it's part of your daily food intake, don't write it off as a thirst quenching beverage.

This is all good advice.

If you're going to drink alcohol (of any kind) it has to be added into your daily intake, both for calories and carbs, and needs to be done in small quantities if you are trying to lose weight.

It's not a very beneficial (health-wise) source of calories. It's liquid, so unless you drink a lot (which defeats trying to lose weight) it's not going to help you feel full and not eat. Acohol is a depressant which makes you more likely to eat -- and eat unhealthy foods -- which counteracts any dietary controls you have in place. It's a source of carbs -- specifically sugar and starch -- which are the worst to consume. It's particularly problematic for a diet because it's easy to pick up a lot of carbs in your diet outside of beer. The times when you would want to consume fast burning carbs like sugar (for example, after working out) are not suitable times for drinking beer (after working out you don't want to drink alcohol because it will stop muscle growth, slow muscle repair, and slow your metabolism so you'll burn less calories).

For several of the same reasons, it's bad to take in calories in liquid form. Same issue that it doesn't make you feel full, so you risk eating more to feel satiated, but your body also absorbs the carbs faster so you burn fewer calories breaking down and utilizing them. Also, most liquids are heavy in sugar and/or (bad) fat, neither of which you want in your diet.

The only exception is liquid protein, because it's the only way you can consume protein straight without additional carbs or fat.

Good posts.

I just sacrifice food. While I LOVE cooking and good food/restaurants, I'd gladly eat boring salads and steamed vegetables for lunch if it means I get to drink more beer. Eat small amounts and get your vitamins, lots of veggies. Of course, I love a good burger or steak on weekends, but weekdays don't mess around at work.

And cardio, cardio, cardio.

However...

2891614104_535c6ded4e.jpg

1. - i hope that's and AFTER and BEFORE pic (grin).
2. - "**** moderation" - Captain Excess
3. - quote arizonascoob: "Been doing this since starting homebrewing without a pound gained." - - I haven't gained a pound either, I gained 15.

4. - I dont do nutrisystem (i eat healthily), i rarely don't drink, and i drink water. (thats what light beer is for)

Swim an hour a day three days a week. Or you could completely un-automate your brewer and do all the heavy lifting by hand.

I found that I was gaining excess weight from drinking too much of my beer. I have a kegerator in my living room and drinking two to four pints a night. So I started drinking my beers out of sampler glasses instead of full pints. Now when I go to the kegerator four or five times in the night, I only have one full beer.

This is a good idea!

So is sex, and it goes well with beer. Haha.

You're right about exercise, ya gotta burn those beer calories, or cut them.

LOL! Speak for your self. When I drink 3 or 4 homebrews and the wife wants to get busy, I am usually either wanting to go to sleep or drink more beer. Could not be bothered to get it on.

Bike weekly with Crossfit and Kettlebell training throughout the week as well. Just started kegging so I up the game so I can drink more LOL

Back