my cider has a krausen!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe6pack

Reaction score
What gives?

I have two 1 gallon batches....
One is: 1 gal apple juice, 1 tsp yeast nutrient and 5 g of Montrachet

The other: exactly the same, but with 1.5 cup of brown sugar.

The one with the sugar has a krausen. I didn't think cider made a krausen. It's approaching the stopper on the jug.

Should I rig up a blow off tube?:confused:

I needed a blow off for the cider I made with brown sugar. I've gotten tiny krausens on some of the others but the brown sugar was the only one I needed a blow off.

I would like to know where this myth about not getting krausen when making cider came from. I have made literally hudreds of batchs of cider and somtimes you get krausen and sometimes you dont... its facts of life, based on many many variables, so dont think you sound not get krausen and you should be fine.

Also you might need a blow off tube, rig one just to be safe.

cheers

I put on a blow off tube to be safe. The one without the added sugar is developing a small krausen.

The reason I was asking about it is, I had heard that cider didn't make a krausen. My last batch (this is my second) was made with Champagne yeast and didn't have one.

This one is made with Montrachet. I guess that could be the difference.

Back