new meadery: Ring of Fire (Alaska)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancingbarefoot

Reaction score
Fellow Alaskans and others interested in mead: there's a new meadery in Alaska! Ring of Fire Meadery opened up in Homer earlier this month. Article in the Anchorage Press about it here.

Haven't had a chance to sample it yet, sadly, but a roadtrip to Homer may be in order just for that. ;) Apparently the owner's going to have mead on tap, which is somewhat unusual, isn't it?

Alaska is a pretty long trip for about 99% of us :p

I can't even say I've heard of wine on tap either. I suppose you could tap a large keg of wine, but I've not personally seen one of those except in a winery and it was aging for bottling.

Then there's wine in a bag of course. :p

If I'm not mistaken there was a restaurant in NY? that produced(procured?) their own kegs and took them to wineries to fill for less cost than bottling and had a wider selection of wine on hand at any given time for a better price and had a clear glass "cellar" that people could peer into and have wine on tap and are proud of it.

Damn, I wish I had a link. I remember seeing this on the Food Network tho...

Damn Food Network....

It DOES exist tho, know this...

:drunk:

Wine was on tap at a lot of the restaurants in Italy!

Keln said:
I can't even say I've heard of wine on tap either. I suppose you could tap a large keg of wine, but I've not personally seen one of those except in a winery and it was aging for bottling.

Then there's wine in a bag of course. :p

Redstone Meadery in Boulder colorado makes a sparkling 8% black raspberry mead that is served on tap at a local brewhouse in CT. It doen't kick you in the teeth like most aged mead, but it's DAMN tasty ;) Interesting side note, the owner of Redstone is a forum moderator at gotmead.com. She runs the forum on starting your own meadery.

mike

That's good to hear about an Alaskan meadery... I was looking to pick up a few bottles of commercial mead but, I had my doubts if I would find any.

Through the link you posted, the writer said that Mead is illegal to produce up here without a license... :rolleyes:

"What mama don't know..." and work to change it in the meantime. :tank:

There was an article about Ring of Fire in the paper this week, including a list of restaurants in Homer and Anchorage where you can get it. Apparently Oaken Keg has it, too, but I haven't been there in over a year so I'm not sure. Anyone tried it? I might have to go to Cafe Amsterdam to get a taste.

The writer of the articled f*cked up, though, because he (?) said that mead is wine because unlike beer, it's fermented. :rolleyes: Yeah, 'cause only wine is fermented. :drunk: :rolleyes:

Haven't tried it personally, but my buddy in the Valley (Mat-Su) went there with his ex and was quite impressed. What's especially impressive is that my buddy is a bud light fan!?!?!?

Through the link you posted, the writer said that Mead is illegal to produce up here without a license... :rolleyes:

"What mama don't know..." and work to change it in the meantime. :tank:

Just add a tablespoon of rice solids to your 10 gallon batch of mead. Then it should be considered beer.

been in there a few times already all his stuff is pretty good:tank:

Someone said that he had a booth at the three barons / renaissance fair this year.

Back