How to prevent fermentation explosions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heizerweissen

Reaction score
Recently I started to brew my first Hefe-weiss and about 30 hours into the fermentation process the lid on my bucket exploded off and made a huge mess. I seems that my tubing used to siphon out the CO2 was clogged. Is this a common occurance with Hefe-weiss or does anyone have any techniques to help prevent this in the future? I would appreciate any help.:mug:

Heizerweissen said:
Recently I started to brew my first Hefe-weiss and about 30 hours into the fermentation process the lid on my bucket exploded off and made a huge mess. I seems that my tubing used to siphon out the CO2 was clogged. Is this a common occurance with Hefe-weiss or does anyone have any techniques to help prevent this in the future? I would appreciate any help.:mug:

It is normal with Hefe's just clean and put the the lid and airlock back on. Really the only way to stop it for sure is to use a blowoff hose.

RICLARK said:
It is normal with Hefe's just clean and put the the lid and airlock back on. Really the only way to stop it for sure is to use a blowoff hose.
Thanks. Will the fact that air was introduced effect the outcome of the beer much?

Not at all, unless you sneezed a few times right into the fermenter. With the fermentation so active it's quite difficult for other nasties to take over.

Also, all that CO2 kept away any nasty oxygen. Do not worry about the beer at all.

In the future, use a blowoff tube, as it will not get clogged so easily or check out Fermcap-S (available from many suppliers). I've been using Fermcap-S for many, many years and love the stuff.

TL

TexLaw said:
Also, all that CO2 kept away any nasty oxygen. Do not worry about the beer at all.

In the future, use a blowoff tube, as it will not get clogged so easily or check out Fermcap-S (available from many suppliers). I've been using Fermcap-S for many, many years and love the stuff.

TL

Is there any reason to worry about lost head retention when using products such as Fermcap-S? Does it contain surficants?

There is no reason to worry about head retention when using Fermcap-S, as it just settles out. Just don't stir everything back up when you rack (just as normal), and you are fine. I've never had any problem with head retention, and I take no more care racking then I normally would.

It is a surfactant, and a very effective one. I put a teaspoon or so in my boil kettle when I light the fire and another in my primary just before I add the wort.

TL

I'm going to have to retrofit my standard airlock (2 piece) with a flexible pvc hose for a blowoff tube. My HefeWeizen is blowing the roof off! My question is: what diameter of tubing do I need to use?

gruversm said:
I'm going to have to retrofit my standard airlock (2 piece) with a flexible pvc hose for a blowoff tube. My HefeWeizen is blowing the roof off! My question is: what diameter of tubing do I need to use?

I suggest taking a lid your not using down to the hardware store and seeing what fits tight in the hole with out the gasket.

If my Hefeweizen is an ACTIVE (2 bubbles per second) fermentation, will I hurt my beer if I remove the airlock for a few minutes to measure the outside diameter of the internal tube to be fitted with a hose?

Back