How fast can WLP001 finish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBrewer83

Reaction score
I brewed a barley wine on 6/26/15. Had an OG of 1.102. I just checked the gravity last night 6/30/15 and it is 1.023. There was a huge amount of blow off.

6 gal recipe

25# 2 row
12 oz c80
12 oz victory
8 oz flaked wheat
4 oz carafa 1

Mash at 150 for 90 minutes.
pH was 5.3 during mash

Pitched a huge starter using stored yeast. Honestly I don't know how much yeast. I didn't measure the out the slurry but I can tell you it was probably more than MrMalty recommends from a repitch.

Pitched at 66f and let it go up to 68.

Question is can this yeast really rip through this fast?

A big pitch of healthy yeast in highly fermentable wort like you have, with those temps? Sure, it could charge through the sugars that fast.

Must'a been a hell of a fun fermentation to watch!

I'm glad to see someone else getting gunk on the outside of their big mouth.I wondered if I was the only one. I fear that if I tighten it too much I'll never get it off. That thing is a pain but worth it for the ease of cleaning

Not to re open this thread but with my current stout my lag time was 3 hrs and the yeast fully dropped out in two days fully attenuated.

Back