Anyone try the hop burst recipe from this month's zymurgy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried it, but can't be too bad if its from Mitch Steele. I love the hop bursting theory.

I brewed it two weeks ago. Almost identical except I changed the sterling hops to cascade.

I tried the hydro sample last weekend and it was fantastic. A really nice orange colour too. I am going to dry hop in the keg next week so ill keep you posted.

Just tapped this beer an it is amazing. My best brew yet. I dry hopped with 1oz each of Centennial, Cascade and citra.

A really smooth bitterness and tons of citrus/tropical aroma. I can recommend it!

image-3718668406.jpg

Sure!

10lbs 8 oz pale ale malt
12oz C40
8oz Cara pils
8 oz Munich

0.3oz Magnum FWH

1.5oz Centennial, 1.5oz Amarillo @ 15 mins

0.8oz each Simcoe/Centennial/Citra/Amarillo/Cascade, whirlpool for 20 mins before cooling.

0.8oz each Cascade/Centennial/Citra/Amarillo/Simcoe dry hop in keg.

2 litre starter of 1056.

This is slightly modified from the recipe in Zymurgy by Mitch Steele.
He uses C20 instead of C40 and no carapils. He also uses Sterling hops instead
of Cascade. Apart from that is it pretty much the same.

Highly recommended!

I am getting ready to brew an Imperial Red ale and will be using the hop bursting method. I have been doing quite a bit of reading on this since reading the above mentioned article in Zymurgy and have seen a few places mention a 30 min addition but most don't use 30 and seem to focus on 20 min or less. I am curious what a 30 min addition would or would not do. I would also like some feedback on my grain bill but don't have that with me so my hop bursting idea will have to do:

FWH Simcoe .25oz
60 min. boil
1oz Galaxy 30 min
1oz Galaxy 15 min
.75oz Simcoe 15 min
.75oz Centennial 15 min
.75oz of either Green Bullet, Motueka, Riwaka, or El Dorado (depends on availability)
.75oz Galaxy knockout
.5oz Simcoe knockout
.5oz Centennial knockout
.5oz Green Bullet or ... as above
1.25oz Galaxy DH
.75oz Simcoe DH
.75 Centennial DH
.75oz Green Bullet or...as above

I may do my dry hopping in one charge but may also split those numbers in half and do 2 additions for 3-4 days each then cold crash before bottling. Thoughts? In doing my research, these hops should play nicely with each other... I hope.

...a 30 min addition but most don't use 30 and seem to focus on 20 min or less. I am curious what a 30 min addition would or would not do.

With the 20 minute whirlpool your 30 minute addition will be more like a regular 40+ minute hop addition. If you go this route be careful to reduce or eliminate the FWH to compensate or you will have an overly bitter result. The hop bursting is to maximize flavor and aroma (while contributing bittering) so i would focus on 15 minutes and under if it were me.

BTW - The NZ hops seem to be hot right now. I find them interesting but I'm note sure I like how they work with simcoe and centennial. Feel free to ignore my taste preferences.

I have this cold crashing now. I used different hops; simcoe, Amarillo, centennial and Goldings, but same grain bill and process other than that. I added dry hops over several days and I'm looking to keg it this week.

I'll post results after I condition it.

BTW - The NZ hops seem to be hot right now. I find them interesting but I'm note sure I like how they work with simcoe and centennial. Feel free to ignore my taste preferences.

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it. I will probably spread the Galaxy out a bit more then. That is also good to hear about your thoughts on Simcoe & Centennial playing not so nicely with Galaxy. The only variety that I am stuck on is Galaxy because I have 8 oz that I need to get used up. My initial recipe that I made last year used Amarillo, Simcoe, and Cent but I did traditional additions not bursting. I have a hard time finding Amarillo anymore in my area. In doing a lot of reading on different varieties it seemed like Simcoe and Cents would play nicely with Galaxy and that's also why I chose Green Bullet too. What other varieties do you find play nicely with Galaxy that are relatively easy to come by?

Also, here's my grain bill - I am trying to get my color dialed in better from my last batch which was basically brown but I think I missed on that one because my water volumes were so far off I only had 2.5 gal to bottle:

12# 6 oz 2 row
1# 3 oz Munich
10 oz Victory
6 oz C-120 (maybe go lighter or use less?)
2 oz pale choc

I am hoping for something in the 7-8.5 % range and my Beer Smith number are showing OG 1.080 color 14.8 (deep amber) and 8.3%. I haven't messed around with my water volumes yet though.

Thanks for any input.

I think the beer would be fine using Galaxy, Simcoe & Centennial it just wouldn't be anything new with Galaxy getting lost. Galaxy sometimes gets described as citrus and tropical fruit but, I don't really pick up the citrus part like I do with the US hops. Maybe stick with 2 hops Galaxy and Green Bullet. I'd love to hear others take on the hops.

Your grains look good for getting to a red color and most red ales seem to have C-120 in them with some roasted barley or other dark grain. I like using the pale chocolate but many others use roasted barley. I find CaraRuby to give some red character but it's in the 20-30 L color range. If you subbed CaraRuby (or Red or Amber) for the c-120 you may want to sub Carafa 1, 2 or 3 for the pale chocolate to get a little more color back without the potential for roasted bitterness of roasted or black malts.

I've had good luck alternating pacific gem and jade with a charge of super alpha up front for bitterness. I'll give you a much different character though.

Hey brewguyver, did you ever brew the zymurgy hopburst IPA? It does look good. Sorry that we sidetracked your post a bit.

No problem - I've sidetracked more than my fair share.

I haven't tried it yet - between the group buy and trip to the in laws I haven't had much time to brew.

I hope to make it (along with the Kentucky common recipe) in the next two weeks.

I've brewed using the hopburst technique 4 times now. I use only Falconer's Flight for every addition, and it comes out awesome. Huge aroma and flavor. I used Wyeast West Coast IPA yeast each time. Contrary to what you might think, it gets better with age.

I have a couple of pints of mine left I the keg. Had one last night and the aroma and flavor are as good as when I tapped it 8 weeks ago.

Drinking a version of this right now and i haveto say it's one of the best I've made
9.71 gal RO Water Water 1 -
8.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
4.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
3.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -
14 lbs Pale Malt - 2 Row (Cargill) (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 89.2 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 20L (Cargill) (20.0 SRM) Grain 6 6.4 %
8.0 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.2 %
3.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.2 %
0.75 oz Warrior [16.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 9 34.9 IBUs
1.50 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 16.7 IBUs
1.50 oz Centennial [8.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 16.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [8.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 16 -
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [8.60 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 20 0.0 IBUs

Just brewed this a month ago, and it is easily the best IPA I've ever made. Mitch knows what he's talking about. If you've ever had any of the Stone Enjoy By series, this is very similar to that without as much alcohol. I highly recommend you try this recipe. If you like modern hoppy IPAs, then you'll love this beer.

It's going to be in my regular rotation of brewing so that I can have it on tap a few times a year. It goes fast!

Good to know yours turned out so well. Are you talking about the recipe that is listed above your last post that Glynn did, or did you use one of the specific recipes that was listed in the BYO?

I will post the results of my hop bursted red ale as soon as I put my faucet on. The keg should be ready to go, I've just been trying to lay off beer for a few days since the SuperBowl. I will say that I didn't like the initial hop flavor/aroma - not that it was bad just muted - because I think I got poor hop utilization using hop bags. I won't make that mistake again. The aroma is quite nice now that I have double dry hopped it. I'll post more as soon as it is sampled.

@ScottWa, I brewed Mitch Steele's Hop Burst IPA recipe from Zymurgy magazine. It's already gone, and I miss it! Haha!

I used a hop bag one time a couple years ago, and had the same experience as you. I'm sure adding more hops would counteract the effect, but that just adds more cost when I didn't really find that the hop bag helped me in any way. I haven't used one since.

Hope your red turns out great!

So here's the results of my first hop bursting with recipe included:

6 gal batch
Maris Otter 83.5%
Munich 6.9%
Victory 4.4%
C-120 3.5%
Choc Malt 1.7%

Galaxy FWH .25oz

Galaxy 1.33oz x 15 min
Green Bullet .75oz x 15 min
Motueka .67oz x 15 min

Galaxy 1oz whirlpool
Motueka .67oz whirlpool
Green Bullet .5oz whirlpool

Galaxy ~.62oz Dry Hop x 4 days
Green Bullet ~.25oz Dry Hop x 4 days
Motueka ~.375oz Dry Hop x 4 days

Galaxy .5 oz Dbl Dry Hop x 3 days
Green Bullet ~.375oz Dbl Dry Hop x 3 days
Motueka ~.375oz Dbl Dry Hop x 3 days
Spanish Cedar Chips .5 oz x 3 days (5 hour vodka soak before adding, did not add vodka)

My color was more brown than I would have liked but that's because I'm an idiot and printed the original recipe that I made last year for this and not the modified one that would actually make it red. It's kind of a hop bursted India Auburn Ale :D The flavor is pleasant with a really nice aroma from the double dry hoping with a mild but pleasant cigar box/humidor smell that work well.

I am getting ready to brew an Imperial IPA that will use traditional hopping methods as well as hop bursting. I now have a pump and 15 gal HLT so I am planning a 9 gal batch. I will post the results of that when it's ready.

Back