keg min fridge or chest freezer ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyguner03

Reaction score
what would you rather have a keg mini fridge or chest freezer? i am going back and forth between the three.. so which one?? would you pick..

It really is going to depend on multiple factors.

Do you want to serve more than one type of beer from your unit at the same time?

Do you want to buy a temperature control device and build a collar for a keezer?

Do you want to build the kegerator from a mini-fridge or buy a ready made unit?

Where will the unit go in your home and will your wife/girlfriend/partner agree to having it there.

It depends on a number of things. If you just want a small elegant system that fits in the living room, I'd go with mini fridge. If you're putting it someplace where space is plentiful and a large chest freezer won't look out of place, then go with a chest freezer. Another consideration is if you want towers for your taps. Most people just build a collar for chest freezers. If you want towers, you'll have to figure out a way to either hinge it sideways or give it enough room in the back. With a mini-fridge you just open the door...but it holds fewer kegs.

I chose a mini-fridge because I wanted something small that had a tower. It only holds 2 beers on tap, but it looks nice and does the job. It's also big enough to hold a carboy when using as a temperature controlled fermentation/lagering chamber.

I went through this same debate a month ago. After mulling over the options I decided on a small keezer. It has worked out very well for my needs. I have plenty of room for my kegs, it also has room for bottles & can be used to Lager if for some reason it's empty.:eek: The last thing I can say about the freezer convert........ it is very effective in how it cools. It runs just a handful of times a day and not for very long. It does a great job of keeping cold beer.

I've decided that I'm doing neither. My plan is to find a used dorm fridge and tear it apart - use the guts to cool the keg cooler that I will build into my bar. I'm leaning toward a coffin on top rather than a tower.

Be careful when taking apart that mini fridge. My roommate and I tried that in college and ended up cutting a coolant line, ruining the fridge. It is pretty hard to remove.

I already had a chest freezer (big enough for 3 kegs and a tank) and wanted it to look decent in my game room, so I've been working on that with the help of a kind neighbor who is a skilled woodworker. All of the wood except for the 2x8 collar and the tiling base was solid oak re-purposed from an old church pew we've had for many years.

I've got to let the adhesive cure that will be holding the fairly heavy wood/tile lid to the freezer lid then I can get to work on installing the 3 Perlick 525SS faucets.

keezer1_zpsb05b8c99.jpg

keezer2_zps4093bbf2.jpg

It really is going to depend on multiple factors.

Do you want to serve more than one type of beer from your unit at the same time?

Do you want to buy a temperature control device and build a collar for a keezer?

Do you want to build the kegerator from a mini-fridge or buy a ready made unit?

Where will the unit go in your home and will your wife/girlfriend/partner agree to having it there.

i was really just planning on using it for lager.. i wasnt thinking about using it for other.. now you have me thinking.. and yes wife is ok with it. she somewhat supports the hobby just doesnt like being around when im brewing. she hates the smell..

It depends on a number of things. If you just want a small elegant system that fits in the living room, I'd go with mini fridge. If you're putting it someplace where space is plentiful and a large chest freezer won't look out of place, then go with a chest freezer. Another consideration is if you want towers for your taps. Most people just build a collar for chest freezers. If you want towers, you'll have to figure out a way to either hinge it sideways or give it enough room in the back. With a mini-fridge you just open the door...but it holds fewer kegs.

I chose a mini-fridge because I wanted something small that had a tower. It only holds 2 beers on tap, but it looks nice and does the job. It's also big enough to hold a carboy when using as a temperature controlled fermentation/lagering chamber.

with this mini fridge do you lager with? what im really asking is what temp is the lowest it goes? .. i actually have the model you requested and my wife gave me the ok to use for lager!!... just found this out ..
Frigidaire Representative
The temperature range for the refrigeration section of the LFWC18T6LB model is 46 to 64 degrees.
Posted by
FrigidaireAnswers

still ok to go lager??

I went with a chest freezer. It sits out in the garage so I don't care how it looks. My only complaint is that is doesnt handle the moisture buildup very well. Other than that it's great....just wish I had space for a bigger one.

I got a very old CL chest freezer and kitted it out with a kegerator conversion, also from CL. Plenty of space in it. Cheap and ugly for the garage. Not doing anything fancy with it because the freezer could die any minute.

I picked up a chest freezer and a johnson digital controller with the intention of turning it into a keezer, but decided to run it as a fermentation chamber for the summer. During that summer I found a returned kegerator at home depot for around $180, split the gas line, and added a 2 tap tower to it. I'd like to have more than 2 taps, but for now it works.

Back