Kolsch Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcjmil

Reaction score
I brewed a Kolsch kit and transferred it the other day into a secondary carboy.

It smelled a little cidery. Is that normal for a Kolsch?

Give it time. You can get all kinds of aromas from fermenting beer that will dissapate over time. If it's just a smell and not a taste I wouldn't worry about it.

Weird smells are pretty normal for a Kolsch. If you can get the temp down in secondary those smells will dissipate rather fast.

Every Kölsch that I've ever done has an odd aroma to it, but they always turn out tasting great!

fyi: kolsch will have a bad sulfer taste to it after being bottled. let it age...mine wasn't really good until it had been in the bottle almost 2 months, then it was fantastic.

Give it some time. Kolsch is supposed to be cold stored (lagered) for 2 months or so to help settle the beer and bring the best flavors out

it's kind of a "hybrid". it uses an ale yeast but gives cleaner flavors at lower temperatures.

"lagering" is a term you can use for any beer, anyway. you can lager an ale after it's finished carbonating

Back