brown ale yeast. what up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right on. it is a maple brown ale. not sure if that changes anything. also curious about when it may be a good idea to add said maple syrup. i have read that adding it as a priming sugar substitute works well. any ideas?

I've made an Brown IPA with both London and 1056 and both turned out awesome! I've never used Maple Syrup but I would assume it can be used like Honey. Either add it at flame out, high krausen or prime with it. Be aware it is probably close to 100 % fermentable so it may dry and thin out the beer. You might want to add 4-8 oz of malto-dextrine to the recipe to add back some body

My favorite yeast for brown ales in my limited experience has been white labs 007. It is called 'Dry English' but I didn't feel it was too dry at all for the brown and I thought really enhanced the flavor of the chocolate malt I used versus the 001 I used for another similar batch.

Also, be careful when priming with maple syrup as the sugar content can vary quite a bit depending on the grade and type of syrup. Grade B maple syrup will contribute the most flavor per weight. I gather it is best to measure by weight versus by volume if you decide to prime with syrup.

Back