New Homebrewer - Dorm room style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToxicSteve

Reaction score
Hey all

I am gonna try a bunch of cold brews because I have the luxury of living in a Dorm Room, so I am very limited in my cooking abilities. Definitely gonna have to swamp cool to keep it at a decent temp (No AC).

Any tips on brewing in small spaces would be awesome.

apfelwein and skeeterpee won't need cooling probably, they like temperatures in the 70's just fine if you are using a champagne yeast like montrachet, premier cuvee, or 1118

BIAB is certainly the way to go. single kettle and a grain bag.

Unless you're in one of the "suites" at Friley (never been inside them - they were just finishing construction when I graduated... although the "no a/c" comment kind of shoots that...), I'd say your best bet is going to be make friends with someone in an off-campus apartment (or better yet house) At least for the brew day.

Out of curiosity, what dorm?

All of the dorms at my college (Univ. of Alaska Fairbanks) had a community kitchen on the ground floor and central air. I never even considered that other colleges aren't similarly equipped.

And unlike Topher's college, there were LOTS of reasons to live on campus. At the top of that list is not having to shovel snow and being able to make it to class on time even if it is -60F. I just have to wonder if all the upper classmen at Topher's college moved off campus, who was left to welcome the incoming freshman girls? :drunk:

Back