Slow Moving Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any reason for a long lasting fermentation period? This is my third wheat, but the first time I aerated really well using a paddle in a pistol drill. It is a different recipe, so comparison isn’t easy. It had good action 6 hours after pitching, but never extreme, just nice and steady. I’m now up to 13 days and the krausen is still thick and I’m still getting a bubble every 20 seconds. Everything looks healthy, so I guess I’m just looking for some reassurance. I’m hesitant to take a gravity reading when it looks like there’s still so much activity.

wheat.jpg

The temperature has been between 68 and 72. At this point I'm concerned, but not too worried. What I'd like to know is at what point has it been too long?

It looks fine. How much yeast did you pitch?

You have the advantage of having it in a carboy so you will see when fermentation is done. The krausen will collapse and the beer will clear - although with wheat yeasts it won't be crystal clear.

how much yeast, and did you make a starter if it was liquid yeast...or did you rehydrate and proof it for a dry sachet of yeast?

sometimes yeast isn't predictable even when its a good, known strain.

It was a smack pack of Wyeast 3944. I didn't do a starter, but smacked it about 36 hours before pitching and it was well expanded. Activity came quickly, just never real aggressive.

you're fine.

"how much is too long?"

over four weeks, i'd say...wouldn't worry about two weeks. wait till the krausen drops, take a reading and if she looks good, bottle.

You are going to be fine, I had a fermentation take almost 4 weeks with no ill effects.

:off: I see a smacked pack in the picture, whatcha got goin next?

Thanks for the reassurance. I’ll try to be patient, but I finished the last of my other wheat on Thursday and was hoping for a quick turn around on this one.

The smack pack in the picture is for something I’ll be brewing later today. There was a thread about an all cascade hops beer. Thought I’d try a small batch as an experiment.

Well, I racked this batch to a secondary about two weeks ago. The SG wasn't quite as low as I had hoped, so I'm letting it sit with some dry hopping. Still getting a couple of bubbles a minute, so I'm hoping for some additional fermentation.

On July 1st I started another batch following a Belgian Wit recipe. Used the same Wyeast 3944 Witbier yeast. It's been over a week and the krausen looks exactly like the picture at the start of this thread. Has anyone else used this yeast and had the same long fermentation period?

Back