Can I Save Wort For Weeks To Reuse Later For A Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
If I take some of my wort from a finished brew and want to use that later in roughly two weeks to make a starter, can I do that by refrigerating or freezing it and then reheating it to pitching temps i.e. 68 degrees or so?

If I can do this, can someone who's done it tell me how they go about doing it?

Cheers!

Yes, you can do this. Lots of people do this.

You should dilute your wort to a 1.040 gravity before using it as a starter though. And be sure to dilute with boiled water. This is much easier than using DME to make a starter IMHO.

you know i don't really know... obviously everything has an expiration date but i've never stored wort for more than a month in the fridge. I felt that a month was pushing it but it could be that it was just fine. there can be microbial growth in the refrigerator so you need to make sure it's covered and sealed and in a sanitized glass (or other smooth) container. freezing for long storage is a much better idea.

mightynintendo said:
you know i don't really know... obviously everything has an expiration date but i've never stored wort for more than a month in the fridge. I felt that a month was pushing it but it could be that it was just fine. there can be microbial growth in the refrigerator so you need to make sure it's covered and sealed and in a sanitized glass (or other smooth) container. freezing for long storage is a much better idea.

Could you not bring it back up to a boil to kill off any nasties prior to feeding it to your yeast?

I had considered trying this before, I was thinking I could maybe collect and separate the hop trub and whatnot out of the bottom of my boil kettle and keeping it in a growler or other container to use as a starter. Then when I a ready to start, boil the wort to clean off the nasties, and go forward with my starter method as usual. Any reason why this wouldn't/shouldn't work?

I do something similar to HollisBT. I always tend to have some wort left in the kettle I can either squeeze out of the hop trub, or I have some left in the chiller etc. I'll collect that and put it in a freezer bag and freeze it. Then when I want ot use it as a starter I thaw it (usually in the fridge, sometimes in the microwave) and bring it to a boil in my flask to make sure it is sterile. It is a bit of work, but generally just as much as making a starter usually is.

Could you not bring it back up to a boil to kill off any nasties prior to feeding it to your yeast?

I had considered trying this before, I was thinking I could maybe collect and separate the hop trub and whatnot out of the bottom of my boil kettle and keeping it in a growler or other container to use as a starter. Then when I a ready to start, boil the wort to clean off the nasties, and go forward with my starter method as usual. Any reason why this wouldn't/shouldn't work?

i would definitley bring it back up to a boil before adding starter yeast. this would also be a good time to dilute the wort to 1.040 gravity. you just need to be careful with wort because it's has the perfect pH and sugar content to allow for very easy contamination/spoilage. constant vigilance every step of the way. if you turn your back it will go sour on you!

Back