Krausen like fluffy clouds...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Jewbeard

Reaction score
Had a little lag on my Belgian Dubbel (about 30 hours from pitch to first formation of krausen, I'm guessing), but it seems pretty happy now.

Check this out! Usually my krausens are flat and uninteresting but this one looks like what you see out of an airplane window. Apologies for poor-quality camera phone image.

(uh... not infected, right?)

1213110831.jpg

1213110821.jpg

Looks normal to me. Belgian yeasts can can be quite active usually when I brew Belgian beers I get big blow-offs. Looks like you have plenty of space in your carboy though, so not to worry.

Yeah, this wound up being a somewhat smaller brew than anticipated. We wound up missing our target OG by a lot (partly due to losing some of the first runnings onto the floor because a hose fell off, and partly because All-grain is still kind of mysterious and tricky). So, we let it boil down to about 4.5 gallons.

Just another "Kwazy Krausen" Odd krausens don't have any correlation to whether or not a beer is infection. An ugly Krausen is just an ugly krausen. Only skins are signs of infections (if they're not just oil slicks from hops) but even a pellicule doesn't mean the beer is necessarily ruined.

Just another "Kwazy Krausen" Odd krausens don't have any correlation to whether or not a beer is infection. An ugly Krausen is just an ugly krausen. Only skins are signs of infections (if they're not just oil slicks from hops) but even a pellicule doesn't mean the beer is necessarily ruined.

Ah. :)

Good to know! I will now sit back, relax, and watch the clouds go by. Thanks guys!

Back