What kind of sugar is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joesf35

Reaction score
My LHBS(i think that's the right acro) gave me a small bag of finely granulated priming sugar (really small grains). The problem is its not labeled. How can you figure out what kind of sugar is so I know how much to add?
( my first batch of one and done ale is delicious by the way! what a great hobby this is.)

As Terrapinj says it sounds like corn sugar/dextrose from your description. If it's about 4 oz it's for bottling. You'll boil some water and add that sugar, then pour that solution into your bottling bucket and siphon your beer on top of it.

Captain Damage said:
As Terrapinj says it sounds like corn sugar/dextrose from your description. If it's about 4 oz it's for bottling. You'll boil some water and add that sugar, then pour that solution into your bottling bucket and siphon your beer on top of it.

Ok, I followed those steps except I boiled water and let it cool then added the sugar. It looks to be about a cup and a half. I used 3/4 cup. I siphoned on top and then bottled. With wine I boil the water with the sugar to invert, I didn't do that here hopefully I didn't blow it.

In the future you should add the sugar to the water while the water is still very hot. The sugar is not sterile and needs to be pasteurized by the heat. You probably didn't blow it. After fermentation, the alcohol in the beer greatly reduces the chance of infection.

You can't invert dextrose. Inverting is splitting of sucrose into dextrose (glucose) and fructose. Even so, using sucrose instead of dextrose for bottling as many do, whether it's inverted or not makes no difference.

In the future you should add the sugar to the water while the water is still very hot. The sugar is not sterile and needs to be pasteurized by the heat. You didn't blow it. After fermentation, the alcohol in the beer greatly reduces the chance of infection.

You can't invert dextrose. Inverting is splitting of sucrose into dextrose (glucose) and fructose. Even so, using sucrose instead of dextrose for bottling as many do, whether it's inverted or not makes no difference.

Fixed it for you.:tank:

Haha! It is!
5 oz? I hope I put enough in. I only used half the bag, didn't want to over carb and thought it was about 8 oz.

Get a little scale to be sure. I wouldn't add the stuff by sight. Also give them a call tomorrow (they are closed Mondays) at 561-965-9494 just to make sure.

Back